Colin Wilson

Default Fencing pliers - use of ?

Probably a dumb question - i`ve got some on order following some little
barstewards stealing some (quite large) items from our garden - the
intention is to use galvanised wire to try to tie the panels together to
prevent them being lifted as easily - "binding" them by running the wire
across many panels and tacking in place, so one can`t be lifted because
its "tied" to both adjacent panels.

I`ve got a stack of wire staples, i`m awaiting the wire from screwfix,
but i`m not sure how you`re supposed to get the wire taught :-}

I`d prefer to be able to wire the "outside" of the fence, but this might
be a little too easy for them to defeat, so I potentially also run the
risk of not being able to tighten it too much in case they pull off the
internal corners :-}

Ideas welcome :-}

PS: i`ve already replaced the trellis they snapped off to get over
initially, and added a little barbed wire :-p

Sadly the little bleeders didn`t manage to cut themselves in the process,
otherwise the police were quite keen to get DNA samples !

keith_765

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Probably a dumb question - i`ve got some on order following some little
barstewards stealing some (quite large) items from our garden - the
intention is to use galvanised wire to try to tie the panels together to
prevent them being lifted as easily - "binding" them by running the wire
across many panels and tacking in place, so one can`t be lifted because
its "tied" to both adjacent panels.

I`ve got a stack of wire staples, i`m awaiting the wire from screwfix,
but i`m not sure how you`re supposed to get the wire taught :-}

CUT

To get wire taught. Roll out the length of required, fix one end to
something solid, rap the other end round a piece of timber so it wont pull
off, walk back until wire is tight then pull hard, don't snatch . You
should feel the wire give. this should straighten the wire. When pressure is
released keep straight. Just keep tight as you staple on.

zaax

In article , Colin
Wilson writes
Probably a dumb question - i`ve got some on order following some little
barstewards stealing some (quite large) items from our garden - the

Put large quantities of grease on top of the fence. After wreaking their
chav cloths they may think twice.
--
Zaax
http://www.ukgatsos.com
Chris Bacon

Colin Wilson wrote:
Probably a dumb question - i`ve got some on order following some little
barstewards stealing some (quite large) items from our garden - the
intention is to use galvanised wire to try to tie the panels together to
prevent them being lifted as easily - "binding" them by running the wire
across many panels and tacking in place, so one can`t be lifted because
its "tied" to both adjacent panels.

I`ve got a stack of wire staples, i`m awaiting the wire from screwfix,
but i`m not sure how you`re supposed to get the wire taught :-}

You just teach it. It may be some time before it can do anything useful,
though.

I`d prefer to be able to wire the "outside" of the fence, but this might
be a little too easy for them to defeat, so I potentially also run the
risk of not being able to tighten it too much in case they pull off the
internal corners :-}

Fix one end, pay out the wire, staple it to a long batten of 2x2, dig
one end into the ground, lever. If the run is supposed to be above the
line you end up with, put something under the wire near the lever to
raise it up.

Ideas welcome :-}

PS: i`ve already replaced the trellis they snapped off to get over
initially, and added a little barbed wire :-p

Sadly the little bleeders didn`t manage to cut themselves in the process,
otherwise the police were quite keen to get DNA samples !

Get a video camera and set it up somewhere suitable.

keith_765 wrote:

[...]

This won't work on the 'standard' galvanised wire used as the
tensioner for chain link fences, there's no way you'll stretch it by
pulling on it 'by hand'.

To tension 14 guage or 12 guage steel wire you need a proper tensioner
of soem sort - and very sturdy posts or otehr fixings at the ends.

--
Chris Green
Colin Wilson

I`ve got a stack of wire staples, i`m awaiting the wire from screwfix,
but i`m not sure how you`re supposed to get the wire taught :-}

You just teach it. It may be some time before it can do anything useful,
though.

Touche - I noticed my typo after I hit "send" :-}

Thanks for the tips everyone - i`ve got an alternative method to try as
well that someone suggested - wiring the panels around a post by drilling
a couple of small holes in the panels themselves - might not use this as
the "sole" method though...

Get a video camera and set it up somewhere suitable.

Its the length of the garden I can see being a problem though - its about
60 foot long, and I don`t think there`s anywhere really suitable to mount
a camera. I`m looking into the idea though - perhaps an outdoor camera
partially hidden by the satellite dish to make it less obvious...

jacob

Colin Wilson wrote in message et...
Probably a dumb question - i`ve got some on order following some little
barstewards stealing some (quite large) items from our garden - the
intention is to use galvanised wire to try to tie the panels together to
prevent them being lifted as easily - "binding" them by running the wire
across many panels and tacking in place, so one can`t be lifted because
its "tied" to both adjacent panels.

I`ve got a stack of wire staples, i`m awaiting the wire from screwfix,
but i`m not sure how you`re supposed to get the wire taught :-}

Taut? You need a fencers "turfer" - a chain ratchet tightening device
as used by fence contractors. You will also need to brace the end
posts or the wire will slacken as it pulls the posts inwards

http://www.linktrader.co.uk/browse/s...=10&Submit.y=9

cheers

Jacob
Colin Wilson

...intention is to use galvanised wire to try to tie the panels
together to prevent them being lifted as easily

Hmm well the wire arrived from screwfix today, and i`m not sure its
really thick / strong enough to be more than a token gesture - the
scrotes could probably very easily slip something like a screwdriver
through any "looped" fixing and give it a twist, and i`m sure the wire
will snap.

For now, i`ve drilled a small hole in the concrete base panels at either
end, and another above the bottom rail of the fence immediately above,
and fed wire through the concrete, around the bottom rail, and done a bit
of a pull and twist to take up slack cable and tighten / tie the panels
to the concrete. While there isn`t a lot of visible / accessible wire,
they could still wrangle it quite easily I think.

Anna Kettle

Yes, I have lots of tensioners for stranded

mine is just one 1mm? strand

They're typically a
rather crude ratchet mechanism.

See, for example, at http://www.tanton.ltd.uk/, look under Electric
Fencing accessories.

Or:-
http://www.mcveighparker.co.uk/acata..._sundries.html

Those will I'm sure will be ideal when I have sussed out how on earth
they work. I imagined trying to use something massive and unwieldy in
a tight space but at that price they can't be very big. How big are
they?

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642