Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ JJ is offline

Default Blatant Gloat!

Well, I just started getting my new/used cabinet saw set up.

The story:

I saw a two hour old ad on craigslist that simply said "Tablesaw $350"
in the header. I clicked on it expecting to find an overpriced direct
drive benchtop, but my curiosity was peaked when I read the ad and it
said it was a cabinet saw with a 3HP 220V motor. No mention of brand or
model, but it did mention a Shop Fox fence, so I immediately assumed
"Grizzly". I fired off an email response inquiring as to brand,
mentioned it was probably a Grizzly, and said I would definitely buy it
if it was a model G1023, "pending inspection, of course", and that I
would come look at it and pick it up the next day.

I shortly got a response back that it was a G1023Z, and that I could
indeed come by the next day. A quick look on the Grizzly website showed
the G1023Z as the right tilt cabinet saw with the top of the line Shop
Fox fence that latches front and back.

I hitched up the trailer the next morning and drove up to see the saw.
Top had a layer of rust but no pitting. The woman said I could plug it
in and try it, but when I went to get the cord, I found it still
tie-wrapped with no plug on the end. It was still the way Grizzly ships
their 220V tools, with no plug, but the insulation on the ends cut and
ready to pull off. "When was the last time the saw was used?" I asked.
The woman said she didn't think her husband had ever used it.

I started looking a little more closely and after getting the throat
plate out (which didn't have a scratch on it), I looked inside. Not a
grain of sawdust anywhere. Pulled off the dust chute door. Same thing -
not a grain of sawdust. All there was were a few bits of styrofoam
packing and spider webs. I immediately peeled off $350 and handed it to
the lady.

Turns out, this is a 1999 (from the plate) G1023Z that is still brand
new. Had both throat plates, but no arbor wrench or manual.

Minor additional gloat. The saw was sitting on a Shop Fox heavy duty
mobile base, which was part of the deal.

To top it off, she showed me a Delta 34-190 6" jointer which was still
in the box with the strapping still around it. She said her husband had
bought it about the same time as the saw. She wanted $350 for it also,
but since I already have an 8", I declined.

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JJ" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, that was a gloat.

You got yourself a seven year old, brand new cabinet saw with some rust.
And a mobile base too. You did good!

You stalked your prey and moved in for the kill like a master tool predator!

I assume that Grizzly can provide you with an arbor wrench and manual?

Posted to rec.woodworking
JJ JJ is offline

Lee Michaels wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

The wrench is no problem as I have a good selection of english and
metric box end wrenches out in the shop and one of them will fit.
Grizzly has their manuals on their website in pdf format so no problem
there either.

-jj

--
Remove BOB to email me
Posted to rec.woodworking

JJ wrote:
[...]

I am supposing that the husband died or died soon after being told by
his wife she sold his tablesaw...........or that is one nasty woman to
try to divorce.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JJ"
I saw a two hour old ad on craigslist that simply said "Tablesaw $350"

Congratulation! Thou doest sucketh, big time.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

What a great story. I just can't imagine what goes through people's
heads. The guy bought a jointer and tablesaw and they just sit there
for 7 years, never being used? LOL

So the guy probably paid around $1500 to have those things in the way
in the garage for 7 years. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Well...

I'm presuming the poor guy got sick soon after the purchase.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JJ" wrote in message

Turns out, this is a 1999 (from the plate) G1023Z that is still brand new.
Had both throat plates, but no arbor wrench or manual.

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but like wine, tablesaws have good and bad
vintages. The 99 is nowhere near as good as a 97. But if you want to trade
.. . . . . . . . . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

No doubt in my mind that the husband either died or became seriously
incapacitated sometime in 1999 or early 2000. The wife just didn't
sell anything until now. My dad died in 1995. It took until around
1998 for my mother to give me his shop tools. His dresser still has
not been touched and all of his clothes are still in the closet. His
desk is gone into only to get out a necessary paper, which will then
most likely be stored with all of the important papers accumulated in
the last 12 years in her desk. These are not "shrines" or anything,
she just does not want to go through his stuff and figures it will be
my siblings and my problem at some point.

I hope that the sale was not initiated out of financial need, but that
the lady finally decided to part with some of her husbands items and
get them to a good home.

Dave Hall

On 14 Jul 2006 09:44:56 -0700, "bf" wrote:

What a great story. I just can't imagine what goes through people's
heads. The guy bought a jointer and tablesaw and they just sit there
for 7 years, never being used? LOL

So the guy probably paid around $1500 to have those things in the way
in the garage for 7 years. LOL

Gloat GLoat Gloat [email protected] Metalworking 4 February 14th 06 03:30 AM
OT Blatant Gloat George Woodturning 15 September 5th 05 06:49 AM
GLOAT MAJOR GLOAT A REALLY BIG GLOAT jerry Woodworking 22 December 19th 04 05:33 PM
gloat gloat gloat (sort of) Silvan Woodworking 23 February 28th 04 06:18 AM
Gloat, gloat, gloat Joe C Woodworking 10 October 24th 03 12:24 AM