Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gloat GLoat Gloat

recent farm auction purchace
150lb Peter Wright anvil
excellent shape

$105.00

I love it when snow falls and hardly anyone else shows.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary

wrote in message
recent farm auction purchace
150lb Peter Wright anvil
excellent shape

$105.00

While I say congratulations, I,ve got you beaten by several hundred pounds.

Went to a scrap dealer to find 'art' metal for my wife. At the back of the
yard was a giant anvil standing about 3 feet high. The attendant reassured
me that everything is $ 0.16 per pound. I told him that I wanted to buy
that 'weird' object at the back of the yard. One of the workers pulled it
out with a forklift and chain, brought it to the shop and put it on the
scale. Exactly 501 pounds. The attendant paused and claimed that he cannot
sell that and has to call the boss. I told him a 'deal is a deal'. Anyway,
he went into the office, pretended or did call the boss, came back out and
told me he cannot sell it for $ 0.16 per pound ($80). I said fine, I'll
give you $100. He smiled, took my money and loaded it into my small pickup.
To this day I still think that his phone call was a fake and he pocketed the
extra $20. Oh, well.
Pictures will be posted soon.
BTW, this was in San Leandro, CA on Davis Street.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mechanized_robot

There was a ~500 lb. anvil at back of a former blacksmith's shop turned
antique store here in New England. Once a year I would dutifully go in
and ask if they'd decided on a price for it. Once a year they tell me
they didn't know what it was worth & would not sell it until they could
determine the value. Eventually the shop went out of busines & the
anvil remained after they left. I played tag with the property owner
for 6 months and one day the place was bulldozed. Sadly, I have no idea
what happened to that anvil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

"mechanized_robot" wrote in message
oups.com...
There was a ~500 lb. anvil at back of a former blacksmith's shop turned
antique store here in New England. Once a year I would dutifully go in
and ask if they'd decided on a price for it. Once a year they tell me
they didn't know what it was worth & would not sell it until they could
determine the value. Eventually the shop went out of busines & the
anvil remained after they left. I played tag with the property owner
for 6 months and one day the place was bulldozed. Sadly, I have no idea
what happened to that anvil.

OH! that hurt. sad.
reminds me of my anvil story. i hope i haven't already posted this. years
ago i was working for a stage scenery guy, he was building scenery for
wagner's "das rheingold" (with the "anvil chorus"). the boss needed an
anvil, was looking/calling all over, very expensive prices, this kid who
worked there said his father had anvilS. one day he brought one in. i do
not know whether or not the kid informed his father. the boss bought it
from him (at a very low price) and sawed it in two with an abrasive cut off
saw and rigged it up so that when the guy in the play whacked it with a
hammer it fell apart in two. it made me sick to see that very nice anvil
sawed in two for a crappy small town production of this play.
hooray for happy anvil rescue stories!

b.w.