Posted to rec.woodworking
Kenneth

Default Rosewood finishing hassle...?

Howdy,

I am having a difficulty finishing a piece of Brazilian
rosewood using methods that have been successful in the
past.

Here's the situation:

I am restoring some old (typically 100 year+)
leather-working tools.

Many have handles of Brazilian rosewood.

I've been sanding them lightly, swabbing them with acetone
until they no longer produce color, and then oiling them
(with Maloof Satin-Oil followed by his Oil-Wax finish.)

Most come out of that process looking beautiful.

One however, is not fitting the pattern:

When I apply the first coat of oil, rub it for a few
minutes, and wipe it off, the handle looks beautiful but
with the modest color I expect after the first coat. I wait
24 hours, and then apply coat #2. It looks fine while moist,
and looks fine when I wipe it off.

Later however, as the oil is starting to polymerize, it
develops dull streaks that are clearly based on the grain
pattern of the wood.

I am baffled (most particularly because there are no such
streaks visible after coat #1) and would certainly welcome
any suggestions about a better way to approach this.

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve knight

oily woods like that and cocobolo can do that. hit it with a coat or
tow of shellac and the problem will be taken care of. as long as you
have some form of poly in there it will be a problem.
oil and wax alone would work.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Kenneth

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:17:35 -0700, Steve knight
wrote:

oily woods like that and cocobolo can do that. hit it with a coat or
tow of shellac and the problem will be taken care of. as long as you
have some form of poly in there it will be a problem.
oil and wax alone would work.

Hi Steve,

Sincere thanks,
--