Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Kitchen cabinet spraying info

I'm about to venture into spraying a finish for the first time with some
maple kitchen cabinets. I purchased a conversion varnish (Oxford EM8000
from Target Coatings) as well as their Ultima Spray Lacquer (both
water-based). To warm it up a bit, I also bought some amber TransTint dye.
I gather the conversion varnish is meant as a sealer. I'm looking for
opinions on how many coats of each product to spray as well as which product
I should tint. I will, of course, be testing this out on some scrap before
turning myself loose on the cabinets. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
cm

Todd,

We spray a lot of acrylic clear coatings from various manufactures and
usually apply 4 - 5 coats. We have not used tint yet and would be interested
in your results.

Craig

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
I'm about to venture into spraying a finish for the first time with some
maple kitchen cabinets. I purchased a conversion varnish (Oxford EM8000
from Target Coatings) as well as their Ultima Spray Lacquer (both
water-based). To warm it up a bit, I also bought some amber TransTint
dye. I gather the conversion varnish is meant as a sealer. I'm looking
for opinions on how many coats of each product to spray as well as which
product I should tint. I will, of course, be testing this out on some
scrap before turning myself loose on the cabinets. Thanks in advance for
any assistance.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:43:25 -0500, "todd" wrote:

I'm about to venture into spraying a finish for the first time with some
maple kitchen cabinets. I purchased a conversion varnish (Oxford EM8000
from Target Coatings) as well as their Ultima Spray Lacquer (both
water-based). To warm it up a bit, I also bought some amber TransTint dye.
I gather the conversion varnish is meant as a sealer. I'm looking for
opinions on how many coats of each product to spray as well as which product
I should tint. I will, of course, be testing this out on some scrap before
turning myself loose on the cabinets. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Slightly different products, but the way I've seen and done it is 2
coats of sealer, sand down the rough bits with 320, spray the tint,
and then finish with 2 coats of top coat.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

"todd" wrote...
I'm about to venture into spraying a finish for the first time with some
maple kitchen cabinets. I purchased a conversion varnish (Oxford EM8000
from Target Coatings) as well as their Ultima Spray Lacquer (both
water-based). To warm it up a bit, I also bought some amber TransTint

dye.
I gather the conversion varnish is meant as a sealer.

Never heard of conversion varnish as a sanding sealer for wb lacquer before.
Sounds like a really bad idea. Try some large finish samples before trying
that on the finished product.

IMO, sanding sealers are of little value, except as a production tool in
high volume shops.

Lacquer adheres to wood really well, why stick conversion varnish between
the wood and the lacquer? Just asking for trouble, IMO. Conversion varnish
is another production shop item. If you're moving a lot of product through
the spray room it can be handy stuff. Otherwise, stick with the lacquer.

For untinted wb lacquer, I usually spray two coats, sand with 320, then top
coat. With tinted lacquer, spray two coats clear, sand, then spray 1 coat
tinted, and top coat with one coat of clear.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm