Posted to rec.woodworking
Pious Audio

Default Used Lumber

I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got
tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just
sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in
good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --
but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might
sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would
any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would
people pay for it?

Thanks,

Pious

BTW, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

See if there's a craigslist for your area. See if a Habitat for Humanity
location could use it. Find a forsale newsgroup.

People always want free crap/stuff.

Clint

"Pious Audio" wrote in message
ups.com...
I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got
tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just
sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in
good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --
but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might
sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would
any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would
people pay for it?

Thanks,

Pious

BTW, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tvfarmer

Check out this group http://www.freecycle.org/
They have boards in most city's- also is the stuff "treated", there
are discusions on disposal of it and the problems that go along with
it. Some cities won't take it.

Personally I would run a metal detector over any used lumber before any
tooling. Easy to mis snaped nails/screws.

Storage -stack it on old pallets to keep off ground and stick the
layers so air can move around it
cover with tarp but keep the ends open for air.

just some ideas

Pious Audio wrote:
I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got
tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just
sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in
good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --
but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might
sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would
any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would
people pay for it?

Thanks,

Pious

BTW, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 15 Jun 2006 09:29:09 -0700, "Pious Audio"
wrote:

I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got
tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just
sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in
good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --
but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might
sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would
any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would
people pay for it?

Thanks,

Pious

BTW, I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

Not exactly the kind of recycled lumber I'd personally want. If you
want to use it, then get a metal detector to find all the fasteners.
Personally, I'd try to give the lumber away.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

wrote:

I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring...and now I've got
tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts. Right now, this stuff is just
sitting in a pile in my back yard rotting away.

I sort of intend to knock the nails out of the wood and place it all in
good order in the shed for use on future projects around the house --
but so many other things have to get done first that this stuff might
sit in my yard for a year, maybe two, before I can do anything with it.

Does anyone have good ideas on what I could do with used lumber? Would
any body want it if I stuck a sign in the yard, or something? Would
people pay for it?

I keep lots of reclaimed framing stuff. If you've got the room, get
it up off the ground with some 4x4s, stack them flat and cover with a
tarp. Or the shed, somewhere you have some room and it won't irritate
the neighbors. It won't fall apart in a year or two, and the stuff
costs money to buy new when you need it- sometimes a lot of money,
depending on the project.

As far as sticking a sign in the yard goes- if I saw it, I'd come take
it. I regularly put bags of shavings from my lathe on the curb with a
"free mulch" sign that tells the species of wood inside on it, and
they're always gone within an hour or two.

But that's for free. I don't know if anyone would pay you for it
unless it's in pretty good shape, though it couldn't hurt to try.
Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

I tore down a pool deck in my yard over the Spring.
now I've got tons of 2x4's and some 4x8 posts.

See my response in the alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking group.

Anthony