Posted to rec.woodworking
LarryLev

Default Woodworking sights in Ohio, W.Virginia, Pennsylvania

Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 22 May 2006 14:13:31 -0700, LarryLev wrote:
Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

The Martin guitar factory, in Pennsylvania not far from Trenton.
http://www.martinguitar.com/visit/tour.html

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eugene Nine

LarryLev wrote:

Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

Swing through Holmes County OH and tour some of the Amish workshops.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Eugene Nine wrote:

Swing through Holmes County OH and tour some of the Amish workshops.

If you do that, the make sure you stop and get some cheese as well as
Trail Bologna.

Back when I was still in high school, would run down to Holmes county
on the bike (a baby Harley) to go fishing and you guessed it buy
cheese and bologna.

Just remember, stores are closed on Sunday.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

A quick search brought up this.

http://jointer.oldetoolshop.com/padutch.html

Be careful in PA esp. on the TP, tickets are very expensive in PA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

RayV wrote:
A quick search brought up this.

http://jointer.oldetoolshop.com/padutch.html

Be careful in PA esp. on the TP, tickets are very expensive in PA.

Grizzly's got a showroom in Muncy, Pennsylvania.
http://www.grizzly.com/showroom_pa.aspx

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

wrote:

Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

You say that the Esherick Museum is close to home? Have you been?

By all means stop at the Mercer Museum in Bucks County, PA.

If you like old tools, this is a Mecca.

Visit the former workshop of Nakashima while you are close. His
daughter runs it now.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"LarryLev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

Maybe I don't get around enough, but I find this place (only slightly off
your route) fascinating
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/
And Big Rock City nearby is worth a trip

Posted to rec.woodworking
Devon Miller

Winterthur (http://www.winterthur.org/) may be worth a visit if you
like seeing some historical woodworking. They have a display called "In
Wood" with an 81th century cabinet makers workbench.

If you're passing near York, there is http://www.wilkemachinery.com
home to Yorkcraft and Bridgewood. And, if you're near York, on a
motorcycle, you've got to visit
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/c...tours/york.jsp

A bit off track, but interesting none the less,
http://www.decoymuseum.com/ in Haver de Grace, MD has a collection of
some 1200 carved decoys.

dcm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Philip Lewis

The Pittsburgh Regional History Center has a rather large collection
on display: The Prine collection of Woodworking planes
239 planes dating from 1803 to 1875. Collected by Charles W. Prine,
Jr, who researches their origins and makers in the book:
Planemakers of Western Pennsylvania and Environs.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Devon Miller wrote:
Winterthur (http://www.winterthur.org/) may be worth a visit if you
like seeing some historical woodworking. They have a display called "In
Wood" with an 81th century cabinet makers workbench.

I would have called the display, "The Future of Woodworking".

Posted to rec.woodworking
darkon

wrote:

Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of
July. I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related
stops along the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy,
PA, to visit the Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't
need to go to the Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip,
since it is so close to home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

If you're interested in a specatular display of woodcarving, see
the Warther museum in Dover. www.warthers.com

Agreed, very impressive.

There's another Warther who carves, the grandson of Ernest Warther
(the guy mentioned above, who carved trains):
http://www.ivorybuyer.com/museum1.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
henry

If you leave a week earlier you could go to the National Woodturning
AAW show in Loiuisville KY and see the Louisville slugger baseball bat
factory turning bats across the street, and they have some other well
know turners exhibits close by.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

A bit off track, but interesting none the less,
http://www.decoymuseum.com/ in Haver de Grace, MD has a collection of
some 1200 carved decoys.

But if you go to the decoy museum, won't you miss the real one?

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LarryLev

don't plan on going on the PA TP. the point of the trip is for it to be
leisurely.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hall

Not that it is all that special, but Woodcraft's Corporate
headquarters store is in Parkersburg, WV. Cross the Ohio on Rt. 50 and
go up Rt. 68 North. After the visit continue on 68 North and it
becomes Rt. 2 North and goes all the way up the Northern Panhandle.
Hit Rt. 22 about Weirton and cut over to the Pittsburgh area to see
that collection of planes someone mentioned.

Dave Hall

wrote:

Wreckers:
I am planning a leisurely motorcycle ride from the area around
Columbus, Ohio, to Trenton, New Jersey, during the first week of July.
I am looking for recommendations for woodworking-related stops along
the way. I am already considering a stop in Muncy, PA, to visit the
Grizzly folks. What else is out there? I don't need to go to the
Wharton Esherick museum in Paoli this trip, since it is so close to
home, but what else should I see?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. .. cheers.

The Woodworking Channel gary in virginia Woodworking 19 April 16th 06 07:48 AM
The Woodworking Channel? Arch Woodturning 18 March 29th 06 02:29 PM
Woodworking Resources in Cleveland, Ohio Justin Miller Woodworking 3 April 1st 05 12:41 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM