Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help, installing microwave over range - cupboard resize

Hello,
Here is a picture of my situation.
I want to take the hood out and install a over the range microwave. But
given the current situation, I don't think there enough room once a
microwave is installed. So I was wondering if it's possible to shorten
the cabinet that would be above the microwave. I was thinking of
cutting about six inches off near the bottom of the cabinet doors
(above the hood), and then routing a new joint. Here is a picture that
I think will help explain. I want to basically take out the area where
the blue line is.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/cabinet.jpg

Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

I am sure it can be done, it seems you have no other choice. Those
Fan/microwave combos are nice, but a pain LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Howard

You need to have a minimum height above the cooktop to the bottom of
the microwave this then sets the height of the cabinet. An alternative
that could work is to raise not cut the cabilnet in question. You have
some ceiling height available. If you'd like I have this arrangement
and can send you a picture. Contact me directly.

wrote:
Hello,
Here is a picture of my situation.
I want to take the hood out and install a over the range microwave. But
given the current situation, I don't think there enough room once a
microwave is installed. So I was wondering if it's possible to shorten
the cabinet that would be above the microwave. I was thinking of
cutting about six inches off near the bottom of the cabinet doors
(above the hood), and then routing a new joint. Here is a picture that
I think will help explain. I want to basically take out the area where
the blue line is.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/cabinet.jpg

Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Howard, thanks for the reply, but I'd like to keep the same height for
all the cabinets...I think it wouldn't look right with only this one
raised. It would be pretty noticeable. Thanks though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 20 May 2006 22:00:50 -0700, wrote:

Hello,
Here is a picture of my situation.
I want to take the hood out and install a over the range microwave. But
given the current situation, I don't think there enough room once a
microwave is installed. So I was wondering if it's possible to shorten
the cabinet that would be above the microwave. I was thinking of
cutting about six inches off near the bottom of the cabinet doors
(above the hood), and then routing a new joint. Here is a picture that
I think will help explain. I want to basically take out the area where
the blue line is.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ronnald/cabinet.jpg

Any thoughts?

The cabinet itself shouldn't be too bad. The doors are going to be
tricky. I would cut the bottom joints close to but around the joint
itself. Then carefully try to remove the remains of the vertical
pieces without damaging the bottom rail. If you screw up that rail
then you need a panel routing set that perfectly matches the existing
profile to make a new bottom rail. At that point it's probably easier
to make new frames from scratch. If you can save the original then
all you have to rout is the outside bottoms of the verticals, which
you can sand to match if need be.

You should have a plan B ready in case it gets screwed up. Make new
doors from scratch? Replace the cabinet with open shelves?

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On 20 May 2006 22:00:50 -0700, wrote:

I want to take the hood out and install a over the range microwave. But
given the current situation, I don't think there enough room once a
microwave is installed. So I was wondering if it's possible to shorten
the cabinet that would be above the microwave. I was thinking of
cutting about six inches off near the bottom of the cabinet doors

Normally we set upper cabinets 18" above the lower cabinets.
When we set up for over the range microwaves we normally leave another
15" above the range. With most models, this will make the front of
the unit flush with the bottom of the cabinets on each side and still
be a legal height from the range surface. On occasion we will leave
18" (instead of 15") for the microwave if the cook is taller.
If these are manufactured cabinets and screwed everywhere, as others
have suggested, raising the cabinet will be the cheapest and easiest
way to go as you won't have to re-make doors. We stagger the heights
of cabinets quite often in new homes.
Another solution (if theses are manufactured) would be to just order a
smaller cabinet from the same manufacturer. This would solve the door
problem and would also eliminate having to do any finish work.
As for trying to use what you have, if I were doing it I would remove
the current cabinet and try to salvage the rails and stiles. Then I
would make a new box and put a front on it made from the salvaged
(stained) rails and stiles. Of course, I would still have to re-make
the doors.
While I had it unscrewed, I would push it up 3" or 6" (whatever you
need) and have my wife take a look at it.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

That's exactly what I did with mine. Just find a bit to match, and a little
dab of stain and it looked like they was built that way. Just be sure and
measure again to make sure you cut enough off the first time, or don't cut
too much off. It'll be fine.

oups.com...