Kevin O'

Default Installing a vented range hood

Hi,

I've been looking for a vented range hood for my kitchen, and have a couple
of questions.

First, has anyone installed a Nutone Allure WS1 Series range hood? It seems
like one of the better models out there, but I'd like to hear from those w/
personal experience. If you have it installed - is it quiet? Did you vent it
vertically or horizontally? I'm going to vent horizontally, but I'm
concerned that a 3"x10" vent duct (as called for by manufacturer) will
created a draft (or cold spot) in the kitchen - is there a way to make the
duct directional? (i.e. for cooking area air to only travel out, but not for
cold outdoor air to travel in) we are in NH, and winters here call for
tight, well-sealed houses...

My house is typical wood framing with vinyl siding. I'm hoping that the
studs line up correctly w/ the positioning of the stove/cabinetry (which
cannot be changed) so that the vent duct hole isn't smack dab in the middle
of a 2x4 (w/ 16" spacing the odds would appear to be on my side). Once I cut
these holes in the walls of the house to vent the range hood, what works
best to "cap" the hole made outside in the vinyl siding? - a vinyl louver?
can I get one that's color-matched? or maybe something made of metal? All my
exterior trim is white.... Vent will be in kind of an odd spot (middle of
the back of the house) and I'm concerned about the aesthetics...

Also, the price is 150.00 for black model - 180.00 for Stainless Steel. I
can use either as the stove (and other appliances) are a combination of
both. Anyone use a SS model? are fingerprints/grease a problem? I'm thinking
that black will be easier to keep looking clean...

Thanks in advance for any/all info

Kevin O'

D Smyth

I installed a similar range hood and it only took half a day. We too have a
wooden home with vinyl siding.
If you run into a joist, you may be able to rig up a flexible connection
with the metallic pipe used on clothes driers.
As for the outside, there are vent kits available. They have a flap which
closes when the fan is not going. We too live in a cold climate (Muskoka
Ontario...30 below in the winter) but there have been no drafts. Obviously
there is a bit of heat loss. Our vent is on the wall of our screened porch.
It is aluminium. I've thought of painting it to match the siding but haven't
got to it yet. But it's not a problem. The only problem --- and it's not
serious --- is that it vents cooking odours into the porch. (But my wife is
such a great cook, the odours are good!)
I also installed a range hood through a brick wall in another house. It
ended up on a back outside wall. The problem there was weird noises and
banging of the vent when the wind blew.
Our hood takes a screw in bulb. I replaced it with one of the new florescent
screw ins and the quality of the light is really nice.