Posted to rec.woodworking
damian penney

Default Free Version Of Sketchup

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

"damian penney" wrote:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive.

That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been
harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

This is great news! No sure what the reduced capabilities are versus
Sketchup pro, but on the surface it looks very useful for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

damian penney wrote:
Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

SketchUp is a great 3D CAD tool. I use it on everything from furniture
to home design. Easy to learn and easy to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy

alexy wrote:

"damian penney" wrote:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive.

That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been
harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

^^^^^^^

Make that "hoarding", of course!

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

That is truly awesome. I'll also chime in that SketchUp is a great 3D tool
for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to sketch some options for a
new front porch for my father using it.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
"damian penney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us
here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it
wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free
version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

That is truly awesome. I'll also chime in that SketchUp is a
great 3D tool for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to
sketch some options for a new front porch for my father using
it.

todd

Yup; looks like they came upon a real goodie there.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
alexy wrote:
alexy wrote:

"damian penney" wrote:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive.

That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been
harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

^^^^^^^

Make that "hoarding", of course!

AH! And I figured you just weren't using it for any softwood projects.

*snicker*

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

todd wrote:

That is truly awesome.**I'll*also*chime*in*that*SketchUp*is*a*gr eat*3D
tool for quickly mocking up designs.**I*was*about*to*sketch*some
options*for*a new front porch for my father using it.

But where is the Linux version???

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
alexy wrote:
alexy wrote:

"damian penney" wrote:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive.
That's me. couldn't justify the cost for my hobby use, and have been
harding my 8 hours of trial time, waiting for the best use of it.

^^^^^^^

Make that "hoarding", of course!

AH! And I figured you just weren't using it for any softwood projects.

*snicker*

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it
looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points out
that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for updates.
It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows google to
track whatever they have programed into it to track, though they do say
that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to be going that
way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or programs that use my
internet connection without my knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

damian penney wrote:

Right next to the WINE?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

But where is the Linux version???

That comment was meant jokingly, but I guess I haven't kept up. Last
time I looked at WINE, it had more bugs than a dead horse. I'll take
another look. Thanks for reminding me.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
todd wrote:

That is truly awesome. I'll also chime in that SketchUp is a great 3D
tool for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to sketch some
options for a new front porch for my father using it.

But where is the Linux version???

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Nothing penguin-friendly that I see. However, for you Mac hippies out
there, a Mac version is coming "soon".

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Adams

"eclipsme" wrote in message
.. .
Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
alexy wrote:
alexy wrote:

"damian penney" wrote:

[...]

Use a firewall and don't give it automatic permission. Heck, I don't even
allow my anti-virus program unlimited access.

--
Tom Adams

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Adams

todd wrote:

That is truly awesome. I'll also chime in that SketchUp is a great 3D
tool for quickly mocking up designs. I was about to sketch some
options for a new front porch for my father using it.

But where is the Linux version???

--
It's turtles, all the way down

That's why I run a dual boot machine. The best and worst of two worlds.

--
Tom Adams

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mapdude

lock your system down with a firewall to prevent any unathorized
connections w/ the internet.

eclipsme wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it
looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points out
that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for updates.
It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows google to
track whatever they have programed into it to track, though they do say
that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to be going that
way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or programs that use my
internet connection without my knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

damian penney wrote:
Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

I was unable to determine if dimensions and/or dimension lines could be
displayed. Is there a setting which causes dimensions to display, or is
that something available only in the Pro version?

(Yes, I know the small box down on the right has the dimensions of the
selected item, but that's not the same as displaying dimensions lines.)
Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

John L. Poole wrote:
damian penney wrote:
Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

I was unable to determine if dimensions and/or dimension lines could be
displayed. Is there a setting which causes dimensions to display, or is
that something available only in the Pro version?

(Yes, I know the small box down on the right has the dimensions of the
selected item, but that's not the same as displaying dimensions lines.)

Answering my own question

I spent over an hour trying discern how to do this last night, even
watched their online video for 20 minutes and finally gave up. Of
course right after I posted this this evening, I came across their
online documentation and the answer was right the Tools-Dimension
then select the segment you want to display a dimension and pull a
dimension line off it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

Yes, you could do this, but then the offending program will still be
running in the background, using system resources, slowing the computer
down. Get enough of these sort of parasitic programs and your machine
starts to crawl.

Please I am not meaning to offend anybody here. Again - looks like a
really cool program. Just understand what else may be involved if you
decide to go with it.

Harvey

eclipsme wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it
looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points
out that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for
updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows
google to track whatever they have programed into it to track, though
they do say that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to
be going that way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or
programs that use my internet connection without my knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 4/29/2006 8:25 AM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:

eclipsme wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it
looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points
out that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for
updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows
google to track whatever they have programed into it to track, though
they do say that personal information is not tracked. Google seems to
be going that way. I don't like automatic updates in general, or
programs that use my internet connection without my knowledge or
consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects to home
when you start it up. When you close it down, there is nothing left
running in the background.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Here's the skinny on the differences:

http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=1439

On 27 Apr 2006 10:13:27 -0700, "damian penney"
wrote:

Google bought the folks that write Sketchup, a tool many of us here use
for mocking up our designs and many more would like to if it wasn't so
expensive. Anyway in Google tradition they are offering a free version
of it, you can download it here
http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
eclipsme

eclipsme wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes, it
looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement points
out that google requires you to allow the program to phone home for
updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier that allows
google to track whatever they have programed into it to track,
though they do say that personal information is not tracked. Google
seems to be going that way. I don't like automatic updates in
general, or programs that use my internet connection without my
knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects to home
when you start it up. When you close it down, there is nothing left
running in the background.

This would certainly be better, but how do you know that this is how it
behaves?

Harvey
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

eclipsme wrote:

[...]

Because I use several tools to tell me what processes are running, what
started them, and I have a firewall that logs all access in and out of
my home network. When all this bruhaha started about it phoning home, I
downloaded it and checked to see what it was doing. That's how I know.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

If youi're worried about it calling home, disconnect from the
internet while you use it. It'll work just fine. It's silly to
allow net connections you don't need or want anyway; turn the
modem off is one way to be sure.

"eclipsme" wrote in message
. ..

eclipsme wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

Pop wrote:
If youi're worried about it calling home, disconnect from the
internet while you use it. It'll work just fine. It's silly to
allow net connections you don't need or want anyway; turn the
modem off is one way to be sure.

"eclipsme" wrote in message
. ..

eclipsme wrote:
[...]

Any programmer worth his salt could work around the attempt to thwart
the calling home mechanism by closing off an Internet connection; just
simply cache the information being gathered in a temporary local file
and when the time comes that an Internet connection is detected, then
the contents are sent.

I've been studying this program for a few hours and am beginning to
think this rocks... Thank you Google! Now, we just have to hope for
tool manufacturers to offer 3D files of their products so that we can
integrate them into SketchUp designs --- this already is happening in
the professional realm. Would it be nifty if Lee Valley starting
offering 3D files of what it sells.
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

John L. Poole wrote:

I've been studying this program for a few hours and am beginning to
think this rocks... Thank you Google! Now, we just have to hope for
tool manufacturers to offer 3D files of their products so that we can
integrate them into SketchUp designs --- this already is happening in
the professional realm. Would it be nifty if Lee Valley starting
offering 3D files of what it sells.

Oh, sure. That's just what I need. CAD dream tools to go in my CAD
dream shop. Well, at least it would be 3D...

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

Having trouble with the first tutorial, I cannot get the ROOF to go
up..

What is the secret?

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill

And why not? Here's a start:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...?q=woodworking

I am posting a couple of jpeg's of a 3D solid model of my very crowded
workshop-in-the-works to abpw. This model can be rotated and viewed from
all angles, solid or semi-transparent, as shown. Different configurations
can be created with relative ease. It was a lot of work drawing everything
from scratch but I am making major changes in shop layout, routing of
electrical circuits, designing multi-function workstations, etc as a result.
I used the (formerly free) Pro/Desktop program from PTC for this exercise.

David Merrill

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...