Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Default Free Version Of Sketchup

On 4/29/2006 2:20 PM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:
On 4/29/2006 8:25 AM eclipsme mumbled something about the following:
Yes, you could do this, but then the offending program will still be
running in the background, using system resources, slowing the
computer down. Get enough of these sort of parasitic programs and
your machine starts to crawl.

Please I am not meaning to offend anybody here. Again - looks like a
really cool program. Just understand what else may be involved if you
decide to go with it.

Harvey

Mapdude wrote:
lock your system down with a firewall to prevent any unathorized
connections w/ the internet.

eclipsme wrote:

I looked at this to download as a result of this thread, and yes,
it looks like a cool program. But reading the license agreement
points out that google requires you to allow the program to phone
home for updates. It also maintains a unique program identifier
that allows google to track whatever they have programed into it to
track, though they do say that personal information is not tracked.
Google seems to be going that way. I don't like automatic updates
in general, or programs that use my internet connection without my
knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey

It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects to home
when you start it up. When you close it down, there is nothing left
running in the background.

This would certainly be better, but how do you know that this is how it
behaves?

Because I use several tools to tell me what processes are running, what
started them, and I have a firewall that logs all access in and out of
my home network. When all this bruhaha started about it phoning home, I
downloaded it and checked to see what it was doing. That's how I know.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net