Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

Default Free Version Of Sketchup

Pop wrote:
If youi're worried about it calling home, disconnect from the
internet while you use it. It'll work just fine. It's silly to
allow net connections you don't need or want anyway; turn the
modem off is one way to be sure.

"eclipsme" wrote in message
. ..
Odinn wrote:
On 4/29/2006 8:25 AM eclipsme mumbled something about the
following:
Yes, you could do this, but then the offending program will
still be running in the background, using system resources,
slowing the computer down. Get enough of these sort of
parasitic programs and your machine starts to crawl.

Please I am not meaning to offend anybody here. Again - looks
like a really cool program. Just understand what else may be
involved if you decide to go with it.

Harvey

Mapdude wrote:
lock your system down with a firewall to prevent any
unathorized connections w/ the internet.

eclipsme wrote:
I looked at this to download as a result of this thread,
and yes, it looks like a cool program. But reading the
license agreement points out that google requires you to
allow the program to phone home for updates. It also
maintains a unique program identifier that allows google to
track whatever they have programed into it to track, though
they do say that personal information is not tracked.
Google seems to be going that way. I don't like automatic
updates in general, or programs that use my internet
connection without my knowledge or consent.

Must admit though, this program does tempt me.

Harvey
It doesn't have any background program that runs, it connects
to home when you start it up. When you close it down, there
is nothing left running in the background.

This would certainly be better, but how do you know that this
is how it behaves?

Harvey

Any programmer worth his salt could work around the attempt to thwart
the calling home mechanism by closing off an Internet connection; just
simply cache the information being gathered in a temporary local file
and when the time comes that an Internet connection is detected, then
the contents are sent.

I've been studying this program for a few hours and am beginning to
think this rocks... Thank you Google! Now, we just have to hope for
tool manufacturers to offer 3D files of their products so that we can
integrate them into SketchUp designs --- this already is happening in
the professional realm. Would it be nifty if Lee Valley starting
offering 3D files of what it sells.