Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Shop Dogs and Cats - Bah! Shop Doves?

A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .

Hmmm. Birds in the shop rafters - what's that new finish you're using?
Sort of a limed oak?
Seriously, though, that's cool. Working wood and enjoying nature
sounds to me like an day well-spent!
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

or "a" day well spent...

Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

One of the nice things about lathe work is that it's relatively quiet.
that means youcan hear what's going on outside as well as else-
where in the shop.

This morning I kept hearing a sound I couldn't identify.
Eventualy my curiousity got the better of me and I went in
search of the source of the sound.

Took a while to find the dove sitting in the rafters- watching -
and cooing. Didn't seem to mind sharing the shop with me.
Very pleasant having a dove cooing while you're turning. An
hour later another dove flew in to join the adventurous one.
There are advantages to leaving the two car garage door open.

So mornings may be spent with doves. In the afternoon I have
two or three humming birds stop in for a visit. One of them is
a brave little SOB, practically sits on my shoulder to watch
what I'm doing.

A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

A couple of years ago, my shop snake ate my shop lizard. Seriously. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

charlie b wrote:

A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .

My shop cat brings those with her...

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

"Andy" wrote...

Hmmm. Birds in the shop rafters - what's that new finish you're using?

Years ago I was spraying outside, and kept getting little pink spots in the
finish. First time I'd ever seen that, and was baffled. Looked around and
saw one of those little plastic hummingbird feeders filled with red sugar
water nearby. Kept a watch out, and sure enough, the hummingbirds were
flying over and pooping on my book-matched crotch figure African mahogany
door panels. The little bastids.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

"charlie b" wrote...

So mornings may be spent with doves. In the afternoon I have
two or three humming birds stop in for a visit.

Sounds like good company!

My shop has a big old brick chimney - more of a smokestack, really. Every
spring the chimney swallows return to my chimney. You can see them outside
all day flitting around all over town. On occasion, one will fly in the
door, and it's mate will sit outside my window awaiting it's return. In the
evening all the swallows all around town begin to fly in a big loose
counter-clockwise circle, which becomes tighter and tighter as more and more
of the birds join in. Then, they start diving into the chimney, all the
while the rest of the birds are circling in a tighter and tighter circle.
Often, one will start to go into the chimney, then back off and wait for
another shot. By last light, they've all made it back into the chimney.
Tell you one thing, mosquitos are never a problem around here.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:55:21 -0700, charlie b
wrote:

A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .

Yeah but if two of those hummers show up at the same time remember to
duck out of the way....

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sweet Sawdust

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who shares shop space with the
local wild fauna. I have had to put up a screen door to keep out Humming
birds, as many as 12 living in the shop at one time. They were fascinated by
my router and the droppings were playing havoc with my cast iron. A black
snake with blue eyes that likes to lay on the shelf by my drill press and
watch me drill, that took some getting used to. Various rabbits, once a fox,
it sure beats the visitors I had when I lived in the city.
"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg

On 20 Apr 2006 22:18:16 -0700, tom wrote:
A couple of years ago, my shop snake ate my shop lizard. Seriously. Tom

You probably didn't feed it enough. g

I keep my snakes caged. Can't have them running around the shop. Might end
up in the dust collector!

--
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:55:21 -0700, charlie b wrote:

Sounds like your shop is for the birds, Charlie...

[...]

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn

charlie b wrote:

[snip]
A shop dog or cat is ok, but shop doves and humming birds . . .

charlie b

Mom always said that I had bats in my belfry...
j4
Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

We once has some swallows build a nest under the front porch overhang,
right over he front door. I let them do it becasue I thought it would
be a great science and nature project for my kids to watch. They
nested and had two sets of three chicks.

I hadn't counted on the massive amounts of bird****. I couldn't bring
myself to destroy hte nest until the chicks left.

They next spring, they all tried to come back. And the spring after
that, and the spring after that.... It's been 10-12 years and every
now and then, I STILL get one trying to come back.

-Zz

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:25:31 GMT, "Hambone Slim"
wrote:

"charlie b" wrote...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
charlie b wrote:
[...]

All I can think of is:

" .....
My oh my, I'm glad that _cows_ don't fly!"