Posted to rec.woodworking
Pete

Default Finishing Koa

The wife wanted a small display box to display some small objects.
Took her to a local hardwood store. What wood did she choose for the
box?

Koa!

Suddenly, I care alot about the box. Measure 3 times, write it down,
and the best finish. This wood was expensive.

So, I see alot about using natural danish oil. But, Koa is opened
pore.

How far to I sand? 220? 320? I have paper to 1200 if needed.

Do I seal it? With? (Dewaxed shellac?)

Should I coat, dry, wetsand, dry with danish oil?

Peter Davidson

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Pete wrote:
The wife wanted a small display box to display some small objects.
Took her to a local hardwood store. What wood did she choose for the
box?

Koa!

Suddenly, I care alot about the box. Measure 3 times, write it down,
and the best finish. This wood was expensive.

Unfortunately. Used to get it air dried from the Big Island (I was in
Honolulu) for $0.50 bd.ft. Curly too...
______________

So, I see alot about using natural danish oil. But, Koa is opened
pore.

So? So are oak, mahogany, et al. Doesn't mean you can't use oil.
_______________

How far to I sand? 220? 320? I have paper to 1200 if needed.

Far enough to remove sanding marks and make it smooth. Personally, the
finest I normally use is 240; I stop frequently at 180.
________________

Do I seal it?

No point, your finish material seals it.
________________

Should I coat, dry, wetsand, dry with danish oil?

That will work. Several coats of oil are best (drying each first,
reapply with fine - 400/600 - wet/dry paper)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Latex?

Seriously, I think your wife has excellent taste. Koa, I think, looks
best with oil or mebbe shellac, and it chatoyesces (SP?) very
well/good/much (GR?).

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Herb Robinson

I use a lot of koa and always finish it the same way. A liberal coat of
Watco natural, let it soak in for about fifteen minutes, then wipe dry. Let
is set for a day then spray with Deft semi-gloss. Always comes out just
beautiful -- have never been disappointed.

"Pete" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife wanted a small display box to display some small objects.
Took her to a local hardwood store. What wood did she choose for the
box?

Koa!

Suddenly, I care alot about the box. Measure 3 times, write it down,
and the best finish. This wood was expensive.

So, I see alot about using natural danish oil. But, Koa is opened
pore.

How far to I sand? 220? 320? I have paper to 1200 if needed.

Do I seal it? With? (Dewaxed shellac?)

Should I coat, dry, wetsand, dry with danish oil?

Peter Davidson

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sent it through the planer, hand planed it, hand scraped it. Sanded it
180, then 220. I used one coat of General Finishes Seal a Cell, then
three or four coats of Arm r Seal. Can't remember how many. I quit when
I liked the shine. Can't remember if I used satin or gloss either. But
SWMBO was very happy with it. It's a plaque on the bathroom door
holding up two bathrobe hooks. Been there almost two years, high
moisture environment, still looks great and the grain still shimmers
like a Tiger's Eye gemstone. Beautiful wood.