Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

OK, Its been awhile but after read some recent post about the high quality
of HF tools I think we need to re-visit this from a different point of view.
Do you just try to buy the cheapest tools you can find? Does this mean your
work is solely based on how cheap you can make it? Are the two correlative?
Personally, I find nothing more frustrating than fussing with a tool that
won't hold up to the rigors of life in my hands. Underpowered, noisy pieces
of cheap junk that fail to do the job asked of them.

Yes, I am a tool snob. But not from arrogance but from experience. Twenty
years + as a mechanic and 40 + years as a (hobbiest) funiture builder have
taught me a very important lesson. You can't make money or enjoy using
cheap tools. Yes, the Snap-On tools I have cost too much, however, I still
have all of them and they still work as advertised.

My father, grandfather, great grandfather were all cabinet and furniture
makers or lumber men. The tools they passed down to me along the way are
all surprisingly high quality or hand made. I hope one day that I can pass
to my son and grandson's tools I'm proud of. Somehow I don't think anything
HF makes will make the list.

Just ranting after a long visit to Lie-Nielsen to buy their new socket
chisel set. I don't really need them but as I said, I love a quality
tool(s)!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Patent that toolpath boys, oops, too late. Guy Fawkes Metalworking 47 January 12th 06 07:32 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM