Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen

Default Harbor Fright - Are you just a cheapskate? Tool Snob?

FWIW . . .

ever been to Williamsburg, or 'Old Sturbridge' ?? In a lot of cases the
pieces on display have that time frame beat by a good bit. If memory serves,
some may even be original.

ALL of the pieces, 'reproduction' or not, were/are made with exact copies of
the same tools that were used in the 1700's. 'Power Tool' then meant the
strength of the Artisan's arm.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Sailaway" wrote in message

When I was a kid my father and one of my uncles as amateur woodworkers
made some of the most beautiful and durable furniture pieces using what
I would consider Harbor Freight quality tools.

SNIP

BTW, forty to fifty years after those pieces of furniture were built,
most are still in daily use in the homes of my siblings and cousins (and
some were handed down to their kids) and are as beautiful and as strong
as when they were new.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:04:25 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

Some of their $12 to $25 nailers are amazingly durable. I know a finish
carpenter who is almost ashamed of them but can't wear them out.

Yup, their cheap brad nailers are amazingly good, especially for the
price. Everyone raves about them, I haven't been able to break one
yet and for the price, I could buy a dozen of them for the price of
one Paslode or Senco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

"Sailaway" wrote in message

When I was a kid my father and one of my uncles as amateur woodworkers
made some of the most beautiful and durable furniture pieces using what
I would consider Harbor Freight quality tools.

SNIP

BTW, forty to fifty years after those pieces of furniture were built,
most are still in daily use in the homes of my siblings and cousins (and
some were handed down to their kids) and are as beautiful and as strong
as when they were new.

I've been to Williamsburg, but not Sturbridge. I have always admired the
level of craftsmanship those people got/get using what looks like pretty
crude tools. So yeah, cheap tools sometimes aren't worth the paper used
to wrap them in for shipping, but sometimes the problem is the operator.
Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Ron Magen wrote:

ALL of the pieces, 'reproduction' or not, were/are made with exact copies of
the same tools that were used in the 1700's. 'Power Tool' then meant the
strength of the Artisan's arm.

I seem to remember water (wheel to belt) and animal powered stuff at
OSV, but it's been a while...
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Brian Henderson wrote:
: On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:04:25 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

:Some of their $12 to $25 nailers are amazingly durable. I know a finish
:carpenter who is almost ashamed of them but can't wear them out.

: Yup, their cheap brad nailers are amazingly good, especially for the
: price. Everyone raves about them, I haven't been able to break one
: yet and for the price, I could buy a dozen of them for the price of
: one Paslode or Senco.

Any experience with their framing nailers? I ned one for very occasional
use, and don't feel like spending $300 for one.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Brian Henderson wrote:
: On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:04:25 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

:Some of their $12 to $25 nailers are amazingly durable. I know a finish
:carpenter who is almost ashamed of them but can't wear them out.

: Yup, their cheap brad nailers are amazingly good, especially for the
: price. Everyone raves about them, I haven't been able to break one
: yet and for the price, I could buy a dozen of them for the price of
: one Paslode or Senco.

Any experience with their framing nailers? I ned one for very occasional
use, and don't feel like spending $300 for one.

If you only want it for occasional use you can get a really cheap palm
nailer that will shoot most any sized nail with a head 1 at a time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Any experience with their framing nailers? I ned one for very occasional
use, and don't feel like spending $300 for one.

Unfortunately not, but if their brad nailers and staplers are any
indication, you can't go wrong for the price. They take a wailing and
keep on nailing.

Patent that toolpath boys, oops, too late. Guy Fawkes Metalworking 47 January 12th 06 07:32 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM