Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Can I cross t-slot on saw table?

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T"
before...
Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Yes, with careful double-mitering of the tracks, why not? In the
catalogue, there's a closeup of the intersection of the four pieces. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T"
before...
Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Look around on the Rockler website some more, I'm pretty sure I
recently saw them advertizing a new product that is a T-slot
intersection. It should be exactly what you need. I'm thinking of the
same thing for my next-generation shop-built router table.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:
I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T"
before...
Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

I found it, Rockler Item #32453. I'll be buying two of these very soon!

Good luck,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

mac davis writes:

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Bruce Barnett wrote:
mac davis writes:

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:03:34 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T"
before...
Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Yes, you can buy t-track that crosses like that, I've seen it in
catalogs. In fact, I had a catalog here recently, that seems to have
wandered away, that had it offered. I'd say check out Rockler or
similar sites, it's probably pretty simple to find.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Enoch Root wrote:

Bruce Barnett wrote:
mac davis writes:

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the
newer styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle
from the main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a
Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be
worth the money.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

Lobby Dosser writes:

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a
Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be
worth the money.

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one
piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump
(2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8
cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just
takes more time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

Why would you want to do that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On 31 Mar 2006 13:21:00 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Lobby Dosser writes:

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a
Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be
worth the money.

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one
piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump
(2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8
cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just
takes more time.

It says "4-piece kit"...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:54:28 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

Why would you want to do that?

Main reason would be ease of circle cutting..

I'm also using a shop made fence now with stops for pen blank widths and
lengths, and the measuring is getting a little old..

I use a lot of the accessories from the shopsmith and other tools in the t-slots
of the band saw now, and also would like to use the intersection idea on my next
router table..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
Devon Miller

They say that the intersection kit works with their 3/4" t-track, but they
ask if you want the 1/2" or mini 3/8" kit...

The 1/2 vs 3/8 is the depth of the slots while 3/4 is the width.

dcm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

wrote:

Lobby Dosser writes:

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a
Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be
worth the money.

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one
piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump
(2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8
cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just
takes more time.

What's the problem with just running 4 square cut pieces and leaving a
hole in the middle? By using this kit you're putting 4 joints between
tracks 3" away from the intersection where things could catch too,
there's always going to be a discontinuity at the intersection no
matter what you do.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
couillion

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like
the newer
styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from
the
main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10164

I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it
"cross" or "T"
before...
Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

here's another description, the item links back to rockler.

http://www.nesales.com/tools/t-track.htm

T-Track Intersection Kit
Slide your jigs and fixtures in almost any direction! Used with our
3/4" wide aluminum T-track, this 4-piece kit allows you to make the
T-track intersection you need.
Each aluminum piece is 3" long and is cut at 90º. Pre-drilled and
countersunk with two holes to stay level when matching with other
track pieces. Includes #6 x 5/8'' screws. Available in either 1/2" or
3/8" (for thinner stock) depth.
Aluminum.

Posted to rec.woodworking
keith_nuttle

have had this for years and am very happy with it. I have used it to
make many picture frames. It is a cheap alternative

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1463

Bruce Barnett wrote:
Lobby Dosser writes:

You just had to look a little harder. It's

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16417

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper)
ordinary t-track?

er

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a
Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be
worth the money.

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one
piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump
(2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8
cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just
takes more time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:44:41 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

have had this for years and am very happy with it. I have used it to
make many picture frames. It is a cheap alternative

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1463

I don't think that setup would help me, keith...
I already have a miter fence... the one from my shopsmith works ok..
but I want circle cutting and stuff that slots running both directions would be
cool for..