MikeG

Default Miter slot in router table

Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having a
miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides, and
edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

Thanks for your input.

MikeG

Leon

"MikeG" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi,

Snip

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having
a miter slot in a router table?

I use the slot only for attaching feather boards. I do not use a sled but
do use a piece of plywood about 10" square to push some pieces through.

John

I use the miter slot in my router table all the time, mainly for
featherboards, but even use a variety of "sleds" to handle smaller
pieces parts, etc.

John

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:59:10 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having a
miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides, and
edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

Thanks for your input.

MikeG

David

MikeG wrote:

Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having a
miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides, and
edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

Thanks for your input.

MikeG

I use mine for feather boards like the other poster mentioned.
sometimes I even use a miter gauge to hold the work piece, but more
often than not, I just back the workplace with a wider board.

Dave

I wouldn't.
Alternative = http://www.patwarner.com/images/mitergage.jpg
Trap blade between to pieces of MDF, no need for slot.

http://www.patwarner.com = Routers

joey

Pat
What is the advantage of the setup in the photo or conversely the
disadvantage of a routed slot and track. Doesn't this setup reduce the bit
height capacity.
I installed a miter track for feather boards and finger joint jigs, I
haven't seen any down side to it being there. Table 1 1/2" with router lift
installed.
Thanks Joe

wrote in message
ups.com...
I wouldn't.
Alternative = http://www.patwarner.com/images/mitergage.jpg
Trap blade between to pieces of MDF, no need for slot.

http://www.patwarner.com = Routers

Edwin Pawlowski

"MikeG" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot?

No, but it has been used.

How many hours are you going to put into making the table? How much longer
will it take you to add the miter slot?

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:59:10 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having a
miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides, and
edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

Thanks for your input.

MikeG

slots weaken the table, making a point where it can flex. they gather
shavings and crap and are a place where your board can snag. since the
cutting action is rotary rather than linear there is no particular
reason for the slot to be better than the fence as a reference line
for jigs. I make my router table sleds to straddle the whole table and
reference both edges, using neither slots (which there are none) or
the fence, which I remove entirely for the purpose.
Mike in Mystic

i use it for featherboards and my coping sled. The top to my table is 1.75"
thick. I doubt a 3/8" deep dado is going to weaken it in any way enough to
cause flex. It hasn't going on 5 years with a PC 7518 hanging under it.

Mike

"MikeG" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having
a miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides,
and edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

Thanks for your input.

MikeG

Leon

"joey" wrote in message
Pat
What is the advantage of the setup in the photo or conversely the
disadvantage of a routed slot and track. Doesn't this setup reduce the bit
height capacity.
I installed a miter track for feather boards and finger joint jigs, I
haven't seen any down side to it being there. Table 1 1/2" with router
lift
installed.
Thanks Joe

The advantage of the set up in the photo very minimally is that the slot in
the picture stays parallel to the fence. A regular fixed slot is a bear to
have parallel to the fence.

MikeG

Thanks for the input.

MikeG.

Prometheus

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:59:10 GMT, "MikeG" wrote:

Hi,

I am building a new router table and was wondering if I should include a
miter slot in the top. I have not used the one in my old table very much,
but that is probably because my old table really sucks and I don't use it
for much of anything.

Do you use your router table miter slots a lot? Would some sort of sled
referencing off the fence be just as good. Is there a downside to having a
miter slot in a router table?

The top will be 1.5 inch MDF with high pressure laminate on both sides, and
edge banded in walnut. (it's what I have currently available).

When I made mine (same basic construction as you're describing), I
opted to leave it out for several reasons. First, I didn't use the
one in my old table, and never really thought of a good use for it.
Second, it made the old table (which was only a sheet of 3/4" ply)
really prone to bouncing and bending- and I didn't want my good one to
do that. Third, I laminated both sides (in my case, I used ply, not
MDF) to make sure that humidity fluxuations affected both sides
equally, and I didn't want to undo that effect by compromising the
surface- of course putting the hole for the plate in does just that,
but it goes all the way though, so both sides are affected in roughly
the same way. And fourth- and this one is the most important- I have
a router, it's a nice flat surface, and there is already a fence right
there- which means if I change my mind later, I can route the dado for
the miter slot in about ten seconds- it makes a lot more sense for me
to wait on it until I know I need it for something, especially since
the retrofit it so easy.