Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default Footprint of mortiser

What is the approx. footprint of a benchtop mortiser when mounted to a
free-standing base?

I recently saw a web site where someone on here has just such a beast and
his measurements would be close enough.

I'm trying to lay out my work shop semi-sanely. When there was only a
table saw and a lathe, there was plenty of room. Now all is insanity and I
haven't even gotten around to adding the mortiser, panel sander and a
decent workbench (indeed, the only workbench I have was made by Craftsman
and has a hole for a round saw thingy in the middle of it).

As I get into the project this wet Saturday afternoon, I am making
paper templates (which weigh ever so much less than the actual tools) for
use with graph paper. I see now what the problem might be ... tools
already about 1/2 of my square footage. In an 11 x 31 room, that doesn't
leave much wiggle room.

I might be selling a 1 hp scroll saw pretty soon ... and a 'shop fridge'
in need of a new door gasket.

Somethings gotta give.

Soon.

In the meantime, if you know what dimensions to allow for a mortiser that
I don't even own yet, post here, please. As I get into this project, it
looks like I am in the market for some shop=built rolling bases.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"W Canaday" wrote in message

In the meantime, if you know what dimensions to allow for a mortiser that
I don't even own yet, post here, please. As I get into this project, it
looks like I am in the market for some shop=built rolling bases.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=997

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 00:20:05 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=997

Short, sweet and to the point. Thank you. I really didn't expect to find
that info in a product listing of what is, essentially, a benchtop tool.

I guess there are still a couple of things I don't know yet.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge

Bill,
11x31 is more than double what I have, so I'm envious right off the bat ;-).
I'm not directly answering your question here, and this might be blatently
obvious, but I put everything on roller bases and roll everything outside to
make room when working. Rain is a hassle, but I live with it. Also, there
are lots of plans for tool carts that double up (via a swivel mechanism) so
you could put the mortiser on one side and a planer for example on the
other. Now that I think of it though, mortisers are pretty heavy, so that
might not be a good example. Planers and scroll saws maybe?

Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know that while 11x31 may feel small,
it's quite roomy by comparison for some of us!

Mike
Alameda, CA

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
are lots of plans for tool carts that double up (via a swivel mechanism)

so
you could put the mortiser on one side and a planer for example on the
other. Now that I think of it though, mortisers are pretty heavy, so that
might not be a good example. Planers and scroll saws maybe?

I'm thinking that a mortiser on a cart with wheels might not be so
practical. Quite a bit of downward pressure is needed to operate a mortiser
and the handle is not centred on the device. Having it on wheels might cause
the whole setup to wheel off on some tangent unless the wheels are decently
locked and not subject to skidding.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bigpole

I have my Delta mortiser modified with a cross slide vise, mounted on a
homemade
wheeled cart 24" deep by 14" wide by 39" high and have no problems and the
wheels
don't lock.

Ted
"Upscale" wrote in message

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
are lots of plans for tool carts that double up (via a swivel mechanism)

so
you could put the mortiser on one side and a planer for example on the
other. Now that I think of it though, mortisers are pretty heavy, so
that
might not be a good example. Planers and scroll saws maybe?

I'm thinking that a mortiser on a cart with wheels might not be so
practical. Quite a bit of downward pressure is needed to operate a
mortiser
and the handle is not centred on the device. Having it on wheels might
cause
the whole setup to wheel off on some tangent unless the wheels are
decently
locked and not subject to skidding.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Waller

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:35:16 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
are lots of plans for tool carts that double up (via a swivel mechanism)

so
you could put the mortiser on one side and a planer for example on the
other. Now that I think of it though, mortisers are pretty heavy, so that
might not be a good example. Planers and scroll saws maybe?

I'm thinking that a mortiser on a cart with wheels might not be so
practical. Quite a bit of downward pressure is needed to operate a mortiser
and the handle is not centred on the device. Having it on wheels might cause
the whole setup to wheel off on some tangent unless the wheels are decently
locked and not subject to skidding.

Like just about everything in my shop, my mortiser is on a stand with a roller
base. I have never had a problem with it moving during operation.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Bill Waller" wrote in message

Like just about everything in my shop, my mortiser is on a stand with a

roller
base. I have never had a problem with it moving during operation.

Well, it was just a thought. Not having purchased a mortiser yet, I can only
guess at possible problems. Considering that I move around on wheels,
everything else I come in contact with better be solidly anchored or I've
got a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Waller

Default Footprint of mortiser (Now,Mmachine Mobility)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:36:54 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Bill Waller" wrote in message

Like just about everything in my shop, my mortiser is on a stand with a

roller
base. I have never had a problem with it moving during operation.

Well, it was just a thought. Not having purchased a mortiser yet, I can only
guess at possible problems. Considering that I move around on wheels,
everything else I come in contact with better be solidly anchored or I've
got a problem.

....and a perfectly good thought it is. From your comment, I can certainly
understand your concern.

I started putting wheels under things when I worked in my one car garage shop
in my last house. Although the new house has a much more substantial space for
me to play in, I have found the there is always a need to be able to get things
out of the way for larger projects that require lots of floor apace for
assembly.

All of the machines on wheels have some kind of locking feature and with the
exception of the 12" DeWalt miter saw and the old 9" Rockwell table saw which
has crappy casters from Lowes, I lock them down before use. There is no lateral
force on the miter saw, and the poopy casters on the Rockwell don't want to
move without a lot of force. Besides, I only use that saw for special setups
that don't seem to force things in any direction.

The lathe and the 12" RAS are not on wheels. My drill press is a bench top and
I don't have a need to move it. The bench it sits on is permanently attached to
a wall. But there are times that I wish...

Having things set up for mobility allows me to store tools that are not in use
in their own special "parking spaces" and when I don't need them, When I do
need them, I can place them wherever it most convenient for a given operation.
With the mortiser, for instance, I can just pull it straight out for little
jobs, but if I am doing something large, like stiles, I can bring it into a
larger work area.

One of the things that I learned while working in the one car shop, was that
having larger open areas is a good thing. :-)

Of course, it is important to have power at convenient locations to make all of
this work. When I had the shop wired, the electrician asked where I wanted the
outlets. I had them placed (quad boxes) every five feet around the walls. That
was a half length of EMT between each box. All of the new wiring is 10AWG.
There are three circuits, on 30A and two 20A in the run set up in a running
lap. No two adjacent boxes are on the same breaker.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:55:04 +0000, Mike Dembroge wrote:

Bill,
11x31 is more than double what I have, so I'm envious right off the bat
;-). I'm not directly answering your question here, and this might be
blatently obvious, but I put everything on roller bases and roll
everything outside to make room when working. Rain is a hassle, but I
live with it. (MrClippy was here)

Anyways, I just thought I'd let you know that while 11x31 may feel small,
it's quite roomy by comparison for some of us!

Mike
Alameda, CA

Mike ... if you think rain is a hassle, try rolling a jointer up stairs
out of a basement!! ;-)

Bill