Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Waller

Default Footprint of mortiser

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:35:16 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
are lots of plans for tool carts that double up (via a swivel mechanism)

so
you could put the mortiser on one side and a planer for example on the
other. Now that I think of it though, mortisers are pretty heavy, so that
might not be a good example. Planers and scroll saws maybe?

I'm thinking that a mortiser on a cart with wheels might not be so
practical. Quite a bit of downward pressure is needed to operate a mortiser
and the handle is not centred on the device. Having it on wheels might cause
the whole setup to wheel off on some tangent unless the wheels are decently
locked and not subject to skidding.

Like just about everything in my shop, my mortiser is on a stand with a roller
base. I have never had a problem with it moving during operation.
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA