John Moorhead

Default cross vise specs, etc needed for GI mortiser

Folks -

Okay, any of you that were going to post a response regarding your guts
rather than a General In'tl mortiser.....fuggetit!

Now - I am going to build a table to include my mortiser (and several other
machines) and I would like to know more about that modification some of you
have done - installing a cross vise (grizzly??) in the base and using a
riser on the mortise head to regain the depth capacity. I'd like to do
this, but need to know how tall the vise is so I can use a common table and
fence for several machines along one wall.

I seem to recall something about having to reverse one of the axis screws as
well... Does any of this ring a bell?

John Moorhead

Alan Bierbaum

I had to drill and tap ( 1/4-20) two holes to reverse the screw used for
in-out movement in my Grizzly vise. Simple to do with a drill press (cast
iron drills and taps easily). My vise is 3 7/8" from the mounting surface
to the "floor" of the vise jaws (where the wood rest when clamped in the
vise). You can see a small picture at:

http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/wc_csv.jpg

I just removed the supplied base and fence, rotated the head on the base 180
degrees, and built up the mortiser by 1 1/4" for my Jet mortiser.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Page: www.calanb.com