Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Virginia Pine?

I am building a log cabin on an old family farm and trying to select
which trees to cut. We have a lot of Virginia Pines also known around
here as Black Pines. From what I can tell the trees tend to get about
one to one-half foot in diameter or so and fall over.. As we have
quite a few around the property that seem to be leaning or ready to
come down, they seemed to be the ideal choice for the cabin without
impacting the rest of the woods much. Anyone have any input about the
suitability of these for a log cabin or bulding in general?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/25/2006 10:03 AM mumbled something about the
following:
I am building a log cabin on an old family farm and trying to select
which trees to cut. We have a lot of Virginia Pines also known around
here as Black Pines. From what I can tell the trees tend to get about
one to one-half foot in diameter or so and fall over.. As we have
quite a few around the property that seem to be leaning or ready to
come down, they seemed to be the ideal choice for the cabin without
impacting the rest of the woods much. Anyone have any input about the
suitability of these for a log cabin or bulding in general?

The Black Pine is a Japanese pine and the Virigina Pine looks similar
(has smaller needles and doesn't grow as large). It's normally used for
pulpwood. Be careful for older decaying trees, as these are favorite
nesting trees of woodpeckers. Heart rot is common in 60+ year old
stands, and pine beetles love this tree. It's also a very knotty tree
(except in extremely large trees), and warps easily. Personally, I
wouldn't use it.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

White pine vs. Yellow pine PVR Woodworking 13 April 24th 05 05:19 PM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 06:26 PM
NEW ENGLAND PINE BLANKET CHEST J T Woodworking 4 January 8th 05 03:09 PM
Anyone want some heart pine roof decking? woodyq Woodworking 1 March 29th 04 11:25 PM
Best finish for T&G pine paneling? HerHusband Woodworking 5 February 16th 04 03:35 PM