Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

Default Idea for storage rack in new garage/shop

I'm thinking of putting French cleats every foot up the side of the wall
starting at 4' high and going up. To make the cleats I'm thinking of using
1x2 fir and cutting a 45 on the top side, and attaching them to the wall
with 2" screws.

my question is, are the fir 1x2's going to be strong enough, or should I use
3/4 plywood cut into 2" strips with a 45 cut at the top.

--
if corn oil comes from corn,
and olive oil comes from olives
Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Clements

Richard Clements wrote:

I'm thinking of putting French cleats every foot up the side of the wall
starting at 4' high and going up. To make the cleats I'm thinking of
using 1x2 fir and cutting a 45 on the top side, and attaching them to the
wall with 2" screws.

my question is, are the fir 1x2's going to be strong enough, or should I
use 3/4 plywood cut into 2" strips with a 45 cut at the top.

also I was going to sand them and use deck finish to treat them in a hope to
keep them from warping, or would past wax be better?