R. Lawrence

Default Need Creative Idea for built in table saw

I'm not new to woodworking but now have the space to actually by my
own table saw and keep it at my house. I have a 3 car garage but
like to have as much space as possible for cars etc. I could by a
little small portable model but I like the far extended tables on all
ends. I have to have some overkill "new yankee workshop" model. That
is just how I am. I just wish there was a way to have all this and
have it fold into a wall or something.

There has to be one of you guys that has a creative Idea here. I have
a few but just would like to hear someone elses ideas. I get a little
too elaborate on some of them. I dont care how hard it would be to
make though.

Anyway If anyone has any idea on what kind of saws NOT to get, any
ideas on storage or a website that you know of. That would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RL
David Babcock

I like the basic ideas behind the roll out concept, but make sure you have a
level floor. Unfortunately I don't, in the converted garage I use as a shop.
Besides with my bulk leaning against anything that isn't fastened to the
floor it's probably gonna move.
So what I did was take some old cabinets from a house I rehabbed and made
one group of the base cabinets into a workbench with a sunken miter station
in the middle, the other base cabinets which were a sinkbase and a drawer
base I put together, built my TS into the sink base, then added liftable
wings on the side and at the back of the table saw cabinet. When I need the
extra support/work area I lift one or both of the wings. They have a
hardwood 1" dowels that swing out from the underside and fit into a bracket
on the wall of the cabinet. This way I can lift and lock the wing with one
hand, and when not needed I lift the wing slightly and the support rod
disengages from the support and drops down with the wing.

Dave

"Dan" wrote in message
On Fri 02 Jan 2004 08:03:44p, (R. Lawrence) wrote in
om:

I have to have some overkill "new yankee workshop" model. That
is just how I am. I just wish there was a way to have all this and
have it fold into a wall or something.

Well it doesn't exactly fold into the wall but it's about time this thing
got mentioned again, I guess.
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1053

And google the wreck on "little shop" for hours of reading fun. :-)

Dan

Bob Davis

Do you have any dedicated space in there at all? Or do you have to get 3
cars in? I have a 3 car size building with one double-door. I get two cars
in it and have the remaining space as "all mine". Sure, I'll never have
enough space just like everyone else. But this arrangement does provide
enough space have a table saw with 52" fence in the permanent part of the
space. I've located dust collector and air compressor along the front edge
of the "car space". Now I don't have a Suburban or big truck to fit in and
that helps. I also have a drill press in the corner of the permanent space.
I'm working on fixed work bench. I also plan to put a router in the
extension table of the saw.

That sums up the non-moving parts of the shop. The rest is, or will be on
wheels in the permanent part and moved out as necessary. I frequently move
both cars out and spill out to the open space with saw horses and portable
benches. The rule is "The Lexus goes in every night, the Toyota van gets in
whenever it can".

Bob

om...