Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Eye protection

Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

TIA,

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article _E3Pf.715$123.391@fed1read09, "AAvK" wrote:

Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop
provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that
are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the
insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

I use the AOSafety face shield, thirteen bucks at Lowe's:
http://www.lowes.
com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=74556-429-90028-10000

Doesn't fog, slips easily over prescription eyeglasses and/or ear muffs, and,
best of all, protects the entire face. Although the eyes are the most
important, they are not the only things on your face that need protection.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

AAvK wrote:
Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

A full face shield is less prone to fogging and can be tipped down
enough
to protect one's throat as well.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I'm a carpenter and wear safety glasses most of the day. I've found the
newer De Walt glasses to be really comfortable. In fact, I often forget I'm
wearing them. Here's a link to similiar:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
I like the regular pair I have so much, I bought a shaded pair for working
outside. These are definately the best glasses I've used so far. WAAAAYY
better then the standard issue UVEX. I bought a 4 pack at HD for about $20.
The shaded ones were around $6. --dave

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

wrote in message

What bugs me is that they've stopped selling replacement clear plastic
face protectors for the shield and I have to buy a complete face shield
(head frame and all) if the clear plastic gets too scratched up. I hate
the waste more than the extra cost.

Don't know what face shield you're using, but one I bought from Lee Valley
Tools sells replacement plastic for their shields.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,42207

Posted to rec.woodworking
Glen

Lee Valley has some that are bifocal that match your prescription. They
are great for those of us who are, shall I say, "experienced."

Glen

AAvK wrote:
Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

TIA,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Upscale" wrote:
wrote in message

What bugs me is that they've stopped selling replacement clear plastic
face protectors for the shield and I have to buy a complete face shield
(head frame and all) if the clear plastic gets too scratched up. I hate
the waste more than the extra cost.

Don't know what face shield you're using, but one I bought from Lee Valley
Tools sells replacement plastic for their shields.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,42207

Yep, that's the same one they sell at Lowe's (AOSafety #90028).

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Wear whatever is comfortable so you'll keep them on.

My problem is when I try to wear a dust mask with my glasses. The
glasses start to fog up and I am forced to choose one or the other. I
even tried the nuisance mask with the exhaust vent in the front with no
improvement. Do the 'fogproof' glasses work?

I don't think something like this would be comfortable:
http://www.discountsafetygear.com/msaad30re.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

wrote in message
oups.com...

AAvK wrote:
Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the
little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop
provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses
that are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the
insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't
mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

A full face shield is less prone to fogging and can be tipped down
enough
to protect one's throat as well.

--

FF

Could always go with riot gear.

http://www.airsoftarms.com/viewprodu...hp?ProdID=4077

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

OK thanks much guys. I guess the best choice for me is a pair that are
large area to block as much as possibe and open for air flow rather than
goggles.

Much appreciated for the tips and pointers.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

AAvK wrote:
Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little
flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop provides
(adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that are
scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the insides,
really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind
spending the money, I think it's worth it.

FastCap sells pairs for like $4.00 or something. I got a set at the
last IWF in Atlanta. They're pretty good for the money. I go through
them in a hurry though.
JP