Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default One less useless tool!

There was thread a couple weeks ago about what the most useless tool is. As
always, the PC444 profile sander was a clear favorite.

That reminded me that I actually owned one, but haven't used it in years. I
bought it at HD for half price on closeout (yeh, that should have been
enough warning); it was my first "good" tool. right.

Anyhow, I put it on eBay and sold it for $31, so I got most of my money back
on it.
I sure hope the new owner finds more uses for it than I did!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Toller wrote:
There was thread a couple weeks ago about what the most useless tool is. As
always, the PC444 profile sander was a clear favorite.

I've got a contender. I bought some of those HF pipe clamp parts awhile
back. You remember, I said one of them had a split housing for the
pipe? I can't get them on the pipes!

Someone by me suggested that I get a cheap 3/4" npt tap from HF.
Yehright. Not so inexpensive as they look.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

What is a RotZip?

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Locutus wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

What is a RotZip?

slang for a Rotozip. I use it to trim my dog's nails.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"David" wrote in message
news
Locutus wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

What is a RotZip?

slang for a Rotozip. I use it to trim my dog's nails.

Dave

Interesting, I just recently started using the rotary tool I got for
Christmas and I have found all kinds of uses for it. This Saturday I used it
to cut off finishing nails that was in the original wood trim I removed
(that I am reinstalling) in the house I am rehabing. probably cut a thousand
nails off, was a real time saver.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

I never thought to try using it as a mini sawzall. Although the last
time I used it was to hog out a piece a stud I was leaving in the wall.
Maybe I should rethink what else I could use it for. I tried it using
it to cut dry wall, but didn't like the results; dust, fuzzing of the
paper etc. I've never even attached the right-angle grinding/cut-off
wheel to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Brian Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:47:12 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

I've got a contender. I bought some of those HF pipe clamp parts awhile
back. You remember, I said one of them had a split housing for the
pipe? I can't get them on the pipes!

I don't know why you're having a problem, I got some of those and they
fit the pipes on the first try and have worked just fine ever since.

Mainly because the "threading" where the pipe fits is so badly cast
there's no real resemblance to the pipe threads. How can I describe it?
There are areas in the threading near the seams of the mold that are
deformed: sunken, perhaps out of register with one another in one or
more directions, rough from defects in the mold.

I cannot get the pipe on these threads (using black pipe, npt 14, 3/4").

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom O'Connor

I rarely use the PC Profile Sander but I just finished making a
replacement part for a antique rocking chair and use five or six of
the profiles to form the part. It turned out to be very useful
although I might not use it again for a couple of years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The RayV entity posted thusly:

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

I used mine quite a bit when tiling a wall. They work well for cutting
holes and funny shapes out of tiles. Other than that, yes.. useless.

RotoZip, not to be confused with a 'rotary tool' like a Dremel.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message

RotoZip, not to be confused with a 'rotary tool' like a Dremel.

Indeed. My RotoZip has been pretty reliable - though not an overly used
tool in my arsenal. My son's Dremel on the other hand has twice now been
replaced by the factory after they burned out. The most recent
replacement - burned out.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

For the very few times when a RotoZip type cut is needed you can all save
yourself a lot of money if you just go out and buy a collet adapter for your
router for less than $5. Then your router can be used with RotoZip bits to
do just about everything that the standard RotoZip will do, and with a tool
that your hands are already comfortable using. I did this two years ago to
cut out a bunch of stand-up (Veggie Tales) characters from 1/4 inch plywood
for a church program (and haven't had a use for the RotoZip bits since).

I also found that using a sheet of foam insulation as a backer allowed me to
do the cutting without worry of hitting the bench, etc. with the tip of the
bit. The foam backer board also minimized backside splintering and absorbed
the sawdust. I now use this foam board as a backer whenever I'm through
cutting with my router or my circular saw, and since the cut only leaves a
shallow groove in the foam I can use it over again many times before it
needs to be replaced.

--
Charley

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The RayV entity posted thusly:

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

I used mine quite a bit when tiling a wall. They work well for cutting
holes and funny shapes out of tiles. Other than that, yes.. useless.

RotoZip, not to be confused with a 'rotary tool' like a Dremel.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 14:28:54 -0800, Enoch Root
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
I don't know why you're having a problem, I got some of those and they
fit the pipes on the first try and have worked just fine ever since.

Mainly because the "threading" where the pipe fits is so badly cast
there's no real resemblance to the pipe threads. How can I describe it?
There are areas in the threading near the seams of the mold that are
deformed: sunken, perhaps out of register with one another in one or
more directions, rough from defects in the mold.

Sounds like you got the exception, not the rule. I got a couple when
they had their last sale and they all threaded on just fine. I'd take
them back and exchange them for a different set.

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 03:50 AM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 10:43 PM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 06:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 07:17 AM