Posted to rec.woodworking
Charley

Default One less useless tool!

For the very few times when a RotoZip type cut is needed you can all save
yourself a lot of money if you just go out and buy a collet adapter for your
router for less than $5. Then your router can be used with RotoZip bits to
do just about everything that the standard RotoZip will do, and with a tool
that your hands are already comfortable using. I did this two years ago to
cut out a bunch of stand-up (Veggie Tales) characters from 1/4 inch plywood
for a church program (and haven't had a use for the RotoZip bits since).

I also found that using a sheet of foam insulation as a backer allowed me to
do the cutting without worry of hitting the bench, etc. with the tip of the
bit. The foam backer board also minimized backside splintering and absorbed
the sawdust. I now use this foam board as a backer whenever I'm through
cutting with my router or my circular saw, and since the cut only leaves a
shallow groove in the foam I can use it over again many times before it
needs to be replaced.

--
Charley

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
The RayV entity posted thusly:

Don't know anything about profile sanders but I nominate RotZip as the
most useless tool. Had mine 13 months, second time I used it, it
broke, surprisingly the company sent me a new one. Still couldn't find
much use for it. The last time I pulled it out it broke again. Wait,
I've used it three times, it must not be that useless.

I used mine quite a bit when tiling a wall. They work well for cutting
holes and funny shapes out of tiles. Other than that, yes.. useless.

RotoZip, not to be confused with a 'rotary tool' like a Dremel.