Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

Default I was finally horrified by one of norm's finishes

I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it? In the past, many people
have complained about norm's abuse of stain and poly. I've been mostly
ambivalent about the subject up until now.

The latest NYW in the tivo was this really cool corner table where half
of the table was a drop-leaf. But what was really striking was the
wood choice. The first part of the show talked about how this white
oak was pulled out of a civil war era dam on a river in virgina iirc.
After resawing, the *white oak* looked like a charcoal color, almost
silvery, on the television. He complained about being able to get
enough of the wood for the two projects. And the color wasn't exactly
uniform across the table top. But still, the color was awesome.

Can anyone guess what he did? He stained it with dark walnut stain to
"even out the color". This thing was screaming for just a clear
finish. Now, I agree that the top had been glued up with boards that
were unfortunately a different color. But couldn't he have done
something else? Couldn't he have selected a different board? Put the
light wood in the back or something? He glued up five of the boards to
be able to make the table legs, and there was a aweful lot of waste.
Couldn't he have done the first project in some other wood, saving the
good wood for the second one he does for the camera? Anything?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it? In the past, many people
have complained about norm's abuse of stain and poly. I've been mostly
ambivalent about the subject up until now.

The latest NYW in the tivo was this really cool corner table where half
of the table was a drop-leaf. But what was really striking was the
wood choice. The first part of the show talked about how this white
oak was pulled out of a civil war era dam on a river in virgina iirc.
After resawing, the *white oak* looked like a charcoal color, almost
silvery, on the television. He complained about being able to get
enough of the wood for the two projects. And the color wasn't exactly
uniform across the table top. But still, the color was awesome.

I saw the preview of that episode but not the show yet. The table looked
like he spray painted it black from an aerosol can.

Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

[...]

I brought up a similar question reguarding the shop clock. Somebody
commented that in HD the clock he stained dark was made out of sub-par
walnut.....Of course after I brought it up I noticed that the clock he kept
in the shop was unfinished.

While I hate to defend the intentional staining of wood, in Norm's case he's
usually making a replica of an antique which had a dark finish.

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

I saw the preview of that episode but not the show yet. The table looked
like he spray painted it black from an aerosol can.

Yeah that's about right. As he brushed on the stain, the mixture of
the dark wood and walnut stain just turned it jet black. It really
seemed like he was annoyed with the wood and the supplier. He also
said that he had to add a couple dutchmans to cover some nail holes.
To me, I'd show that off as a character piece, either leaving the nail
hole or showing the dutchman. With the stain, I'm sure the patches
disappeared.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
brianlanning

While I hate to defend the intentional staining of wood, in Norm's case he's
usually making a replica of an antique which had a dark finish.

I can certainly appreciate doing a reproduction piece. But in this
case, if he were doing a reproduction, why not use walnut, cherry, or
qswo? I think a unique wood deserves a unique piece with a finish to
show off the unusual grain or color.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"brianlanning" wrote in message

Couldn't he have done the first project in some other wood, saving the
good wood for the second one he does for the camera? Anything?

Some folks just shouldn't be allowed to apply finishes ... I know because,
being color blind, I feel that way about my own finishing attempts.

I am thinking that Norm mostly needs to stick to paint on curly poplar and
quarter sawn mdf. If I was that rich and famous, damn if I wouldn't hire
someone to do it right.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Javier

I brought up a similar question reguarding the shop clock. Somebody
commented that in HD

NYW is shot in HD? Which stations show it in HD? The local PBS affiliate
(in Raleigh, NC) shows it in SD.

-jav
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Feb 2006 08:33:52 -0800, "brianlanning"
I watched an episode where 'Nahm' got very expensive slow growth
sinker log wood with the most beautifull grain. Before making the
project, he was quite proud to comment on the value and work required
to retrieve these logs and have them sawn and dried. Then he made
the project piece and painted it with what looked like green fence
paint.

Has anyone else noticed that when he uses a 'little' glue, there seems
to be an awfull lot of sqeeze out. I think he gets glue by the drum.
Posted to rec.woodworking
GeeDubb

"Javier" wrote in message
I brought up a similar question reguarding the shop clock. Somebody
commented that in HD

NYW is shot in HD? Which stations show it in HD? The local PBS affiliate
(in Raleigh, NC) shows it in SD.

-jav

It was this post I was referring to.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/a92b01b32487cec6?hl=en&

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"GeeDubb" wrote in message

While I hate to defend the intentional staining of wood, in Norm's case
he's usually making a replica of an antique which had a dark finish.

Gary

Me too but Poplar is often substituted for Walnut and much cheaper
especially if you are going to douse it with paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Why did it take this long to be horrified, Brian?

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

wrote:

I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it? In the past, many people
have complained about norm's abuse of stain and poly. I've been mostly
ambivalent about the subject up until now.

The latest NYW in the tivo was this really cool corner table where half
of the table was a drop-leaf. But what was really striking was the
wood choice. The first part of the show talked about how this white
oak was pulled out of a civil war era dam on a river in virgina iirc.
After resawing, the *white oak* looked like a charcoal color, almost
silvery, on the television. He complained about being able to get
enough of the wood for the two projects. And the color wasn't exactly
uniform across the table top. But still, the color was awesome.

Can anyone guess what he did? He stained it with dark walnut stain to
"even out the color".

When I saw that episode I immediately checked the wreck for the thread
complaining about it. I'm not shocked at what he did, but I am
shocked it took this long for one to show up "dark walnut stain"
is too kind, that may as well have been black paint. Maybe they cut
out the part where he goes "Oh crap, I should have tested on a piece
of scrap."

"It seems to be evening out the color" Uhhh... yep, it's even Norm.

I thought maybe once he brought it out in the sun like he always does
at the end it wouldn't look as dark, but darned if I could see any
grain even then.

But he did use some hand tools making it, that counts for something.
But he also used the "industrial pocket hole machine" so that negates
that.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Yea, he had the right wood, just picked the wrong project for it. Natural
finish would have been really cool. --dave

"GeeDubb" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

GeeDubb said:

"Javier" wrote in message
I brought up a similar question reguarding the shop clock. Somebody
commented that in HD

NYW is shot in HD? Which stations show it in HD? The local PBS affiliate
(in Raleigh, NC) shows it in SD.

-jav

It was this post I was referring to.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/a92b01b32487cec6?hl=en&

Gary

Uhh... I guess that would have been me.

Atlanta PBA - Terrestrial ATSC broadcast channel: 21.1
515000 khz - Video PID: 49 - Audio PID: 52 - Transport Stream ID: 747

Before the recent republican cuts to the PBS budget, they were
broadcasting considerable content at 1920x1080 res, but since, it's
been mostly SD, small HD, and non-16:9 content.

Now don't get too excited and run out and buy one of those bug
infested HDTV receivers just yet. The video looks as though it has
been touched by analog equipment, but it is broadcast in HD, but NOT
16:9. It is HD but not wide aspect ratio. ( SD is 740x480 or less)

Here is a frame - if you care to see the lumpy parts.
Native broadcast resolution, about 1400x1080:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...s/norm0605.jpg

I would link you to a video clip, but a 15 second raw transport stream
clip of the finishing sequence is about 13.616 Mb. Re-encoded into a
DVD resolution MPEG-2/AC3 stream, it is still 6 Mb. A full 25 minute
NYW episode is around 4 Gigs of TS data.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

He does bill himself as a "master carpenter", not a "master
cabinetmaker", perhaps your expectations are a bit too high.

After how many years of making furniture does one qualify to call
himself a furniture maker (not a master, just a good ol' furniture
maker)?

Norm's been at it for, what, coming up on 18 years now? Likely his NYW
furniture building gig is sitting pert near 1/2 of his adult wage
earning life. Me thinks he's had enough time and experience at furniture
making to drop that tired old overplayed excuse.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:41:45 -0500, Leuf
wrote:

When I saw that episode I immediately checked the wreck for the thread
complaining about it. I'm not shocked at what he did, but I am
shocked it took this long for one to show up

That's because the episode just aired last Saturday (25 Feb; just five
days ago) on the national PBS feed and some local PBS outlets. Likely
there are very few wreckers that have even seen it yet.

I'm a week behind the national feed in my market (Orlando area) and I
haven't seen it yet, either. By the end of whine season (probably two
of them) I'll be four to five weeks behind.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Now don't get too excited and run out and buy one of those bug
infested HDTV receivers just yet.

LOL!

Yeah, the Superbowl in HD was AWFUL (rolling eyes!).

The video looks as though it has
been touched by analog equipment, but it is broadcast in HD, but NOT
16:9. It is HD but not wide aspect ratio. ( SD is 740x480 or less)

The broadcast may be HD, but if the video isn't 16:9, it's certainly
not shot in HD.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Larry Bud said:

Now don't get too excited and run out and buy one of those bug
infested HDTV receivers just yet.

LOL!

Yeah, the Superbowl in HD was AWFUL (rolling eyes!).

I wouldn't know - who wants, or has time, to sit in front of the tube
for 3 hours? What I do know is that more money is spent on eye-candy
and tweaking the HDTV broadcasts of football games in the US than any
other material, because that's what sells TVs, gas-grills, 6 bladed
razors and $200B in Chinese imports. Inexplicably, sports broadcasts
are the premiere example of the medium.

But there are issues with HDTV at this point in time.
glaring A/V Sync problems, gross artifacts from mangled bit streams
and MPEG2 encoding, lockups in confused digital equipment, etc.
Consumer response has been tepid at best, and most early adopters of
this technology, like most others, pay a premium for the privilege of
working the bugs out.

This isn't only _my_ opinion, see:
Implementation Subcommittee Finding, IS/191, ATSC Implementation
Subcommittee Finding: Relative Timing of Sound and Vision for
Broadcast Operations, which is available on the ATSC Web site.
http://www.atsc.org/standards/is_191.pdf.

In a nutshell, ITU R BT.1359-1 was carefully considered and found
inadequate for purposes of audio and video synchronization for DTV
broadcasting.

and
http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...01.07.04.shtml

I've been in the video business for a third of a century, and IMHO,
HDTV is not quite ready for prime time, and is being forced down the
public's throat. I also feel that in the best interests of National
Security, standard NTSC broadcasting and VHF band allocations should
be left as is, not only to service an alternate lower tier market, but
to provide a simple, durable, proven fallback method of
communications. But idiots and their cell-phones are clamoring to
claim the frequencies for their superior coverage/penetrating
abilities.

IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF burst
destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their supporting
infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the only forms of
communications for quite some time.

Unlikely, perhaps, but terrorists & solar activity warn 'be prepared'.

The broadcast may be HD, but if the video isn't 16:9, it's certainly
not shot in HD.

Never claimed that it was shot in HD, and in fact, implied otherwise.
The chroma-crawl implies old analog and bad transcoding to DTV.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:29:53 -0500, Greg wrote:

IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF burst
destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their supporting
infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the only forms of
communications for quite some time.

What's your call? Seems like the only ones who understand the role and
capability of ham radio are hams.

K4QG

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Even carpenter's have feelings...

http://www.newyankee.com/images/NormAbram.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

LRod said:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:29:53 -0500, Greg wrote:

IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF burst
destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their supporting
infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the only forms of
communications for quite some time.

What's your call? Seems like the only ones who understand the role and
capability of ham radio are hams.

K4QG

Sorry to say, haven't maintained a license or rig for 2 decades.
Was into it way back in the Heathkit days, but the equipment (and
everything else) was destroyed in a mysterious fire. I was then
distracted by other things, like survival (and computers). As a youth
I climbed far up many a tree to string antennas of various
descriptions. Where I lived, it was my sole contact with intelligence
(beyond the vicinity...?)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:19:52 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

He does bill himself as a "master carpenter", not a "master
cabinetmaker", perhaps your expectations are a bit too high.

After how many years of making furniture does one qualify to call
himself a furniture maker (not a master, just a good ol' furniture
maker)?

Norm's been at it for, what, coming up on 18 years now? Likely his NYW
furniture building gig is sitting pert near 1/2 of his adult wage
earning life. Me thinks he's had enough time and experience at furniture
making to drop that tired old overplayed excuse.

C'mon. He makes 13 projects a year, at two days per project. That's 26
days. I don't know where you work, but most people have to put in at
least 250 days to total a year's experience. At 18 years of NYW
production, he doesn't even have two years of actual experience in
hand yet.

I imagine his "This Old House" gig (which has about double or more the
number of episodes per year) takes much more of his time than the NYW
gig, not to mention his "Inside This Old House" appearances, personal
appearances, etc., I don't think he has much time outside NYW
production to work on his furniture making.

I think he does pretty good for only having two years experience.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 09:19:52 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

He does bill himself as a "master carpenter", not a "master
cabinetmaker", perhaps your expectations are a bit too high.

After how many years of making furniture does one qualify to call
himself a furniture maker (not a master, just a good ol' furniture
maker)?

Norm's been at it for, what, coming up on 18 years now? Likely his NYW
furniture building gig is sitting pert near 1/2 of his adult wage
earning life. Me thinks he's had enough time and experience at furniture
making to drop that tired old overplayed excuse.

C'mon. He makes 13 projects a year, at two days per project. That's 26
days. I don't know where you work, but most people have to put in at
least 250 days to total a year's experience. At 18 years of NYW
production, he doesn't even have two years of actual experience in
hand yet.

My understanding is that he usually makes each project three
times -- once to figure out how, a second time to make the prototype
for the show, and then the third, flimed for the show. So that
is six days per episode assuming that the first two are done
as fast as the last, which they probably are not. Then there is
time spent getting materials and hunting for and measuring
originals. So I'd guess that amounts to at least 100 workdays
per year for NYWS.

I imagine his "This Old House" gig (which has about double or more the
number of episodes per year) takes much more of his time than the NYW
gig, not to mention his "Inside This Old House" appearances, personal
appearances, etc., I don't think he has much time outside NYW
production to work on his furniture making.

I doubt that that This old house stuff takes as much of his time per
hour of showtime as does NYWS. Often he just explains what
other people are doing.

I think he does pretty good for only having two years experience.

I think he has plenty of skill. How he choses to do things may simply
reflect a lot on his personal preferences.

--

FF
cuundio

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:

He does bill himself as a "master carpenter", not a "master
cabinetmaker", perhaps your expectations are a bit too high.

ISTR that it was RUssel Morash who came up with the title
'Master Carpenter', has Nahrm ever referred to himself as such?

If he did, I'll bet it was in jest.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Gordon

I think he has plenty of skill. How he choses to do things may simply
reflect a lot on his personal preferences.

And many of those choices are made for him. Keep in mind that while Norm is
the most visible person involved with the New Yankee Workshop, he is not the
boss. Russ Morash is. Most of the furniture Norm builds ends up in one of
Morash's residences, one of which I believe is attached to the Workshop
itself. Another is on Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard or some other MA
vacation spot. Those are Morash's tools (no doubt provided free by the
manufacturers), although apparently Norm has free reign to do his own
projects in the NYW because that shop is better equipped than his own. And
it is Morash who decides what Norm is going to build and what color it gets
stained. I can't tell you if that decision is based upon his personal taste
or the fact that Minwax puts up some of the dough for the show or, as I
suspect, a bit of both.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Leuf wrote:
Maybe they cut
out the part where he goes "Oh crap, I should have tested on a piece
of scrap."

Poor Norm... 8^(

I'd trade with him any day, even if the 'wreck didn't like my finishes.

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Greg G. wrote:

I wouldn't know - who wants, or has time, to sit in front of the tube
for 3 hours?

Apparently you haven't been to a Super Bowl party?

I watched ONE game this year, while enjoying awesome homebrew, fried
alligator, bacon wrapped scallops, kick-ass cocktail sauces on huge
shrimp, a chill contest, and cranberry jello shots, with a whole bunch
of other folks who didn't know who half of the guys on the field were. =8^0

Game? What game?

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

LRod wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:29:53 -0500, Greg wrote:

IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF burst
destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their supporting
infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the only forms of
communications for quite some time.

What's your call? Seems like the only ones who understand the role and
capability of ham radio are hams.

And none of the microprocessor controlled ham rigs made in the last 25
years will work either.

Barry (who's Icom aviation handheld will be a doorstop, but he's got a
steam gauge airplane and a bicycle)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

B a r r y said:

Greg G. wrote:

I wouldn't know - who wants, or has time, to sit in front of the tube
for 3 hours?

Apparently you haven't been to a Super Bowl party?

I watched ONE game this year, while enjoying awesome homebrew, fried
alligator, bacon wrapped scallops, kick-ass cocktail sauces on huge
shrimp, a chill contest, and cranberry jello shots, with a whole bunch
of other folks who didn't know who half of the guys on the field were. =8^0

Game? What game?

Barry

LOL. I guess that is one of the things I resent most about aging.
Friends aren't allowed out of the house by their spouses, and parties
are pretty much out of the question. So I spend my time working...

They call it 'keeping the peace at home' and 'being responsible'.
I call it P-whipped. ;-)

Young people don't want to hang with older and think you're vying for
their girlfriends. (Which might just be true when single...)

Funny, I never had these "problems" in Florida, just here in
high-stress, paranoid Atlanta.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/4/2006 8:53 AM Greg G. mumbled something about the following:
B a r r y said:

Greg G. wrote:
[...]

Like I told you earlier, yer living in the wrong part of Uhlanna. Need
to move out my way

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 3/4/2006 1:14 PM Ba r r y mumbled something about the following:
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:53:11 -0500, Greg wrote:

Funny, I never had these "problems" in Florida, just here in
high-stress, paranoid Atlanta.

BTW, I flew through ATL a few times this week, and I think I saw some
of the McMansions you were describing a few weeks back.

These neighborhoods are located on the end of the airport where one
flies over the Ford plant and Atlanta Exposition Center. They are
HUGE, extremely close together new homes, located right in the
approach and departure path of the busiest airport in the USA. G

That's a few of the McMansions. There are also quite a few on the north
side as well. I was going to our Buckhead office the other day (North
Atlanta) and passed by some new condos, 3 bedroom, 3 floors, about 1500
sq ft, $500,000 each. Not for me, I'll take my 1400 sq ft doublewide
and 5 acres of land that I paid about $85,000 for.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

I'm sure the residents are petitioning the city to get rid of the airport as
we speak. Happens around here all the time. People build their houses off
the end of a runway then claim the noise is ruining their life. Same with
the local dragstrip. Heard a top fueler lately? Why would any sane person by
a house in that area?

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:53:11 -0500, Greg wrote:

They are
HUGE, extremely close together new homes, located right in the
approach and departure path of the busiest airport in the USA. G

Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:03:10 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:59:15 GMT, "CW" wrote:

I'm sure the residents are petitioning the city to get rid of the airport as
we speak. Happens around here all the time. People build their houses off
the end of a runway then claim the noise is ruining their life. Same with
the local dragstrip. Heard a top fueler lately? Why would any sane person by
a house in that area?

I think they'd have some difficulty closing ATL, but I hear those
stories all the time from other general aviation guys about smaller
fields all over the US. Heck, Mayor Daley turned Miegs field in
Chicago into a park in the middle of the night!

In all fairness, though, CGX (Meigs) wasn't about noise; Da Mayor just
wanted the land for some more lucrative use. It wasn't a particularly
dangerous airport so far as threats of crashes in the neighborhoods
go, as the approaches were all over water, both north and south.

There was never going to be an instrument approach to it, what with
the Loop buildings so close by. Without an instrument approach and
only about 3500' of runway (if I recall) it was unlikely to ever
attract commercial flights (the straw man of all airport expansion
NIMBY arguments)--even the state airplanes, when they filed into CGX
had to shoot the approach to MDW (Midway), cancel IFR, and then go to
CGX VFR (if they could).

One of my most dramatic memories, other than flying in and out of
there myself, was when United Airlines donated an obsolete Boeing 727
to the Museum of Science and Industry, and they flew it into CGX to
later be barged down to the museum. They pretty well stripped the
airplane, loaded minimum fuel, flew the approach completely dirty (as
they usually do anyway), but at a seriously low speed, and used up
just about all the runway to get it stopped. It wasn't leaving.

Bulldozing that was a shame. Probably the single most recognizable
airport in the world, particularly because of Flight Simulator.
Chicago could/should have milked that for all the publicity it was
worth, rather than depend on a few measly millions for rich people's
yacht berths.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Odinn said:

On 3/4/2006 8:53 AM Greg G. mumbled something about the following:

Funny, I never had these "problems" in Florida, just here in
high-stress, paranoid Atlanta.

Like I told you earlier, yer living in the wrong part of Uhlanna. Need
to move out my way

Yeah, I know. However...
Having moved umpteen times to escape the ever widening domain of the
evil developer-lords, I am looking even farther away. You're on the
cusp of rolling clouds of airborne red clay dust, pile drivers, road
graders, and tons of Chinese crap packed into strip malls frequented
by hordes of co-dependant cell-phone thinkers in 12 MPG SUV's. ;-)

I'm leaning towards ever more distant areas such as the mountains of
Northern Alabama, Tennessee, or Western Pennsylvania.

And to think I was born and raised here - way before I-285, I-75, etc
ever existed. Lots of changes, but none for the better, IMHO.
Even dumped the trusty old CB750F, as riding became a fading pipe
dream.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Dubea

On 2 Mar 2006 23:05:23 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Even carpenter's have feelings...

http://www.newyankee.com/images/NormAbram.jpg

Has anyone noticed the condition of his teeth lately? I sincerely
hope he is under the care of a good dentist because they look
terrible.
Chris

RT 1000 Router Table stole Norm's Plan Woodchuck34 Woodworking 8 January 31st 06 01:27 AM
Fine Woodworking WIPE ON FINISHES evaluation Tom Nie Woodturning 5 August 6th 05 08:50 PM
Gloat: Finally figured out my planes Tattooed and Dusty Woodworking 2 February 3rd 05 09:57 PM
Move finally complete MM UK diy 15 December 28th 04 09:58 PM
Food Safe Finishes (aka Speaking of Goblets) AHilton Woodturning 5 April 12th 04 05:17 PM