Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default I was finally horrified by one of norm's finishes

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it? In the past, many people
have complained about norm's abuse of stain and poly. I've been mostly
ambivalent about the subject up until now.

The latest NYW in the tivo was this really cool corner table where half
of the table was a drop-leaf. But what was really striking was the
wood choice. The first part of the show talked about how this white
oak was pulled out of a civil war era dam on a river in virgina iirc.
After resawing, the *white oak* looked like a charcoal color, almost
silvery, on the television. He complained about being able to get
enough of the wood for the two projects. And the color wasn't exactly
uniform across the table top. But still, the color was awesome.

I saw the preview of that episode but not the show yet. The table looked
like he spray painted it black from an aerosol can.