Tom Nie

Default Fine Woodworking WIPE ON FINISHES evaluation

Aug '05 issue

This looks like an excellent evaluation providing lots of info for you to
make personal decisions, also, versus expecting you to simply accept his
conclusions. Well documented and kind of amazing that of all the high dollar
finishes being marketed a "lowly" little $5.95/qt ends up as Best Overall
Choice.

I've seen you guys talk of all kinds of finishes.
Your overall thoughts of his conclusions.
Your reasons for differing - i.e. certain woods, certain finishes, etc.

I don't know of a way to see this article online to avoid having to find the
magazine.

TomNie

George

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Aug '05 issue

This looks like an excellent evaluation providing lots of info for you to
make personal decisions, also, versus expecting you to simply accept his
conclusions. Well documented and kind of amazing that of all the high
dollar
finishes being marketed a "lowly" little $5.95/qt ends up as Best Overall
Choice.

I've seen you guys talk of all kinds of finishes.
Your overall thoughts of his conclusions.
Your reasons for differing - i.e. certain woods, certain finishes, etc.

Why not believe? I use the Wipe-on a lot. Hint: use a paper towel -
cheapest sort, as an applicator. Anything else around here is likely to
contain dog hair after an hour of storage.

Tom,

Okay, I'll bite ..... what were the results ..? and why?

Tom Nie

I wasn't trying to be mysterious. It was a detailed article with 6 pages of
info.

Some of the conclusions we Minwax Wipe-On Poly Best Overall & Best Value;
the Waterlox Original High Gloss Finish was a close second; the worst
performer was Tried & True Varnish Oil; the ugly award went to Hydrocote
Danish Oil.

For instance, I'll quote Chris A. Minick, the author, "I would select Watco
Wipe-On Poly Finish at 29% solids over Sam Maloof's Poly/Oil Finish at 85%
solids for a tabletop, because the Watco product penetrates more deeply and
dries flat in four hours."

and another:
"Waterlox Original High Gloss Finish (0.745 in.) is a better choice than Sam
Maloof's Poly/Oil Finish (0.430 in.) for popping subtle figure from a piece
of wood. Conversely, J.E. Moser's Polymerized Tung Oil varnish (0.439 in.)
is a better choice than Minwax Antique Oil Finish (0.746 in.) for finishing
blotch-prone woods like cherry (less penetration means less blotching.)"

He has a page of pictures of each so a color comparison can be made. A
spreadsheet report compares Viscosity, Dry Time, Color, Sheen, Penetration,
Measured Solids, Water Resistance, Cost/Quart, and where you can source the
17 different finishes tested.

Without rewriting the entire article, this gives you an idea of its content.

TomNie

wrote in message
ups.com...
Tom,

Okay, I'll bite ..... what were the results ..? and why?

mac davis

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:42:00 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Aug '05 issue

This looks like an excellent evaluation providing lots of info for you to
make personal decisions, also, versus expecting you to simply accept his
conclusions. Well documented and kind of amazing that of all the high dollar
finishes being marketed a "lowly" little $5.95/qt ends up as Best Overall
Choice.

I've seen you guys talk of all kinds of finishes.
Your overall thoughts of his conclusions.
Your reasons for differing - i.e. certain woods, certain finishes, etc.

I don't know of a way to see this article online to avoid having to find the
magazine.

TomNie

I'm still in the "not newbie but still learning" stage, so I tend to try a
finish for a while and then add another to my methods of madness...
Most of my early turnings ended up with stain and minwax wiping poly, or just
the wiping poly...
I still do some in my old stand by, Johnsons wax... after reading here, I've
been through periods of wet sanding with mineral oil, soaking in Danish oil,
turner's/friction polish, etc...
I use one to death until I feel comfortable with it, then pick the finish that
seems right for the wood for a while, until the next interesting thing comes
along..

I definitely agree on the Minwax poly.. I use both gloss and satin..

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/xmas-04.htm

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

rick pixley

The old military trick of using cotton balls to apply works well.Just shred
a couple of balls,rewrap them together,and wrap this is a piece of panty
hose ..Works great and is "lintless"..Rick
"George" George@least wrote in message

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Aug '05 issue

This looks like an excellent evaluation providing lots of info for you to
make personal decisions, also, versus expecting you to simply accept his
conclusions. Well documented and kind of amazing that of all the high
dollar
finishes being marketed a "lowly" little $5.95/qt ends up as Best Overall
Choice.

I've seen you guys talk of all kinds of finishes.
Your overall thoughts of his conclusions.
Your reasons for differing - i.e. certain woods, certain finishes, etc.

Why not believe? I use the Wipe-on a lot. Hint: use a paper towel -
cheapest sort, as an applicator. Anything else around here is likely to
contain dog hair after an hour of storage.

Fine Woodworking Magazine Issues #1 - 124 [email protected] Woodworking 1 September 5th 04 02:24 PM
Membership requirements? Puff Griffis Woodworking 19 February 16th 04 07:46 AM
Fine Woodworking issue September/October 2000 Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 4 January 25th 04 02:48 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM