Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Default Forstner bits for oak worktops?

Hi Folks
New to the group. I need to drill two holes about 5/8" diam. for some
kitchen taps to fit them to 44mm solid oak worktops and have been
advised to use `forstner bits` for this job and wondered if group
members would rindeed ecommend these or any other way of doing it
please.
Thanks
Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks
New to the group. I need to drill two holes about 5/8" diam. for some
kitchen taps to fit them to 44mm solid oak worktops and have been
advised to use `forstner bits` for this job and wondered if group
members would rindeed ecommend these or any other way of doing it
please.

Do these need to be clean? If not, use a spade bit. Forstner bits are
tough to use with an electric hand drill as a drill press would be better.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve

Thanks for the quick reply Leon. The holes will actually be hidden by
the flange on the tap base. I did think about speed or spade bits and
wondered if the oak would be too tough for them?.
Cheers
Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the quick reply Leon. The holes will actually be hidden by
the flange on the tap base. I did think about speed or spade bits and
wondered if the oak would be too tough for them?.
Cheers
Steve

Steve you could probably buy 3 or 4 spade bits for 1/2" the price of a
Forstner bit. If the hole is not critical and will not show I would go with
the spade. In an electric hand drill the Spade would probably cut faster
than a Forstner bit. Basically Frostier bits will drill very clean and flat
bottomed holes. If you burn a spade bit up you may only be out a dollar or
2.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Steve wrote:

New to the group. I need to drill two holes about 5/8" diam. for some
kitchen taps to fit them to 44mm solid oak worktops and have been
advised to use `forstner bits` for this job and wondered if group
members would rindeed ecommend these or any other way of doing it
please.

Forstner bits do a great job if you need a clean hole; however, very
difficult to use with a hand drill.

I'd probably use a hole saw with a hand drill which will also provide a
clean hole.

From memory, 5/8" is the minimum hole saw size.

If you are willing to accept a garbage job, then think spade bit.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Brace (sp?) and bit.
Jim

Definitely my favorite idea.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

AAvK wrote:
Brace (sp?) and bit.
Jim

Definitely my favorite idea.

Easily the best choice. At least to start the
hole and have a clean edge.

Don't know why everyone is afraid of hand tools.
Even with a large hole, e.g., 2-1/8, for locks,
you cab use one of those adjustable bits. Seems
that few people remember when electricity wasn't
always available and of course battery operated
drills weren't available. Same for hand saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Tylicki

For some reason I just don't like using spade bits.

My reason is that I prefer my wrist in its current unfractured state.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"Joe Tylicki" wrote in message
For some reason I just don't like using spade bits.

My reason is that I prefer my wrist in its current unfractured state.

Are you referring to bore bits?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Tylicki

Are you referring to bore bits?

I don't know what that is but I was referring to standard spade bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

George E. Cawthon wrote:
AAvK wrote:

Brace (sp?) and bit.
Jim

Definitely my favorite idea.

Easily the best choice. At least to start the hole and have a clean edge.

Don't know why everyone is afraid of hand tools. Even with a large hole,
e.g., 2-1/8, for locks, you cab use one of those adjustable bits. Seems
that few people remember when electricity wasn't always available and of
course battery operated drills weren't available. Same for hand saws.

It is for a faucet and so might be up against the wall, in which case an
ordinary brace's swing could be blocked by a wall...

Maybe an eggbeater?

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin

Enoch Root wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
AAvK wrote:

Brace (sp?) and bit.
Jim

Definitely my favorite idea.

Easily the best choice. At least to start the hole and have a clean edge.

Don't know why everyone is afraid of hand tools. Even with a large hole,
e.g., 2-1/8, for locks, you cab use one of those adjustable bits. Seems
that few people remember when electricity wasn't always available and of
course battery operated drills weren't available. Same for hand saws.

It is for a faucet and so might be up against the wall, in which case an
ordinary brace's swing could be blocked by a wall...

Maybe an eggbeater?

er

Most braces have ratchets.

An eggbeater drill is fine for small holes, but not so hot for larger
ones.

John Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That's what the ratchet is for.
"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:UZudnQBi8o_Ds57ZnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@forethought. net...
It is for a faucet and so might be up against the wall, in which case an
ordinary brace's swing could be blocked by a wall...

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:30:48 -0800, Steve wrote:

Hi Folks
New to the group. I need to drill two holes about 5/8" diam. for some
kitchen taps to fit them to 44mm solid oak worktops and have been advised
to use `forstner bits` for this job and wondered if group members would
rindeed ecommend these or any other way of doing it please.
Thanks
Steve

Skip the Forstner bit.

Drill a 1/4" hole all the way through with whatever style of drill you
already own. Make the diameter larger by drilling from both sides with a
standard 5/8" twist drill.

OR

Pick any drill bit you own that is approximately the same size as the web
(the straight across part that joins the two cutting lips) of the 5/8"
drill you plan to use. Drill all the way through to mark the location from
both sides.

Since you are probably using a hand drill, don't make the pilot hole too
big or you'll have trouble with the 5/8" drill wanting to grab the sides
and make an UGLY hole. And a bruise or two.

Bill