Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default dresser is done!

Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most
people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is
of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has
cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those that helped along the way!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

stoutman wrote:

Finally finished my dresser for my son
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

Tis a handsome piece of work. The way the handle color contrasts with
the rest is really nice.

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

stoutman wrote:

Let me know what you think.

It looks *great*! I suspect that someday a grandchild will be using it
too.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

What, no picture of the birds-eye drawer backs?

What did you end up doing for knobs. Did you end up making them
yourself or are those the oak ones from Rockler?

Josh

stoutman wrote:
Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most
people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is
of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has
cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those that helped along the way!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
What, no picture of the birds-eye drawer backs?

You made me chuckle!

No, I left those out.

What did you end up doing for knobs. Did you end up making them
yourself or are those the oak ones from Rockler?

I bought a little slab of 5/4 cherry cut off and made it with a core box and
round over bits.

I tried to copy the Rockler design, but I don't think I even got close.
They came out looking a little boxy, but they also have a childish feel to
them which is fitting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
(Featuring a NEW look)
"Joe Barta" wrote in message
.. .
stoutman wrote:

Finally finished my dresser for my son
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

Tis a handsome piece of work. The way the handle color contrasts with
the rest is really nice.

Thank you. This was my first time using cherry.(I know there is a joke in
there somewhere)

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

-- "dadiOH" wrote in message
stoutman wrote:

Let me know what you think.

It looks *great*! I suspect that someday a grandchild will be using it
too.

Thank you. I hope it lasts that long!

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
John B

stoutman wrote:
Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most
people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is
of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has
cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those that helped along the way!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

Excellent piece.
Whew, took balls to show a different type of drawer construction in a
"Dovetail" obsessed group.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Excellent piece.
Whew, took balls to show a different type of drawer construction in a
"Dovetail" obsessed group.

Until I get that dog gone Leigh D1600 in my tool collection, no dovetails
for me.

I like the plugged screw reinforced rabbett though.

regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Excellent! Did you sign or place your mark on it? How about carving,
burning, or tattooing the baby's name, date of birth, something, on it
somewhere! For all my personal projects, I like to add some kind of
mark, date, or note relative to the inspiration of a special piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Sonny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Excellent!

Thank you.

Did you sign or place your mark on it? How about carving,
burning, or tattooing the baby's name, date of birth, something, on it
somewhere! For all my personal projects, I like to add some kind of
mark, date, or note relative to the inspiration of a special piece.

No, but thanksfor reminding me. I usually sign it in ink (sharpie) under
the poly. I have to find a place on the bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Charlie H." wrote in message
. ..
Good job and I also enjoyed the rest of your website.
Charlie

Thank you Charlie!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

stoutman (in ) said:

| Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this
| month). Most people would have probably made a crib, but this is
| what SHE wanted. It is of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy).
| It is made of maple and has cherry drawer pulls that I made using
| two different bits on the router.
|
| I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable
| list of the things I did wrong, but...
|
| Let me know what you think.

I think you did a nice job. SHE was right to have confidence that
you'd do a great job.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, at any rate, it came out really nice. Good job.

Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

stoutman wrote:

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Very nice.

I hope all goes well with the final "customer" delivery. G

Barry
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

stoutman wrote:
Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most
people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is
of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has
cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those that helped along the way!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

Nice work. Now pull out one of the drawers, line with a blanket or 2
and Presto, crib! For a few months anyway. It worked for our
grandkids, but I did make a cradle based on
http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/bt2.htm but the digital pictures I have
here don't show the cradle.
Joe
PS, it's best not to wait until the weekend before she's due to start
the cradle. It can cause you to be up at 1AM planing down the chines to
glue the bottom on in time to drive down the next(same) morning.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:54:55 GMT, "stoutman" .@. wrote:

Finally finished my dresser for my son (due at the end of this month). Most
people would have probably made a crib, but this is what SHE wanted. It is
of my own design (I'm not a big plans guy). It is made of maple and has
cherry drawer pulls that I made using two different bits on the router.

I learned a lot on this project and could make a pretty sizeable list of the
things I did wrong, but...

Let me know what you think.

Thanks to those that helped along the way!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

Very nice. Clean, simple, functional and will last for generations.

You do need to sign and date. Eventually, kids will fight over who
gets what piece. I usually put a small brass plate with my initials
and the date finished on the back or bottom of each piece.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Thank you Barry!

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Nice work. Now pull out one of the drawers, line with a blanket or 2 and
Presto, crib!

Thank you. Thats not a bad idea!

For a few months anyway. It worked for our grandkids, but I did make a
cradle based on http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/bt2.htm but the digital
pictures I have here don't show the cradle.
Joe
PS, it's best not to wait until the weekend before she's due to start the
cradle. It can cause you to be up at 1AM planing down the chines to glue
the bottom on in time to drive down the next(same) morning.

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Very nice. Clean, simple, functional and will last for generations.

You do need to sign and date. Eventually, kids will fight over who
gets what piece. I usually put a small brass plate with my initials
and the date finished on the back or bottom of each piece.

Frank

Thank you Frank. The brass plate is a good idea. I just used a sharpie
(underneath of course.) :P

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message news:NrIKf.31163
You do need to sign and date. Eventually, kids will fight over who
gets what piece. I usually put a small brass plate with my initials
and the date finished on the back or bottom of each piece.

Thank you Frank. The brass plate is a good idea. I just used a sharpie
(underneath of course.) :P

Of course, if you're a prolific woodworker using brass plates, it can get
pretty expensive. Might be easier and certainly cheaper to use a branding
iron such as one of the Lee Valley Tools models below. Couple of letter and
number stamps to input the date if you want and you're done.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43462
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43461

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Truitt

Who needs fancy plans when that woodworking brain is cookin?

Enjoyed the pictures. I once made a triple dresser from pine and had a
fun time trying out different joints for the drawer faces. I figured
that at some point somebody would overload them and we would "lose
face".. Your solution looks pretty darn sturdy.

Ron T

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Enjoyed the pictures. I once made a triple dresser from pine and had a
fun time trying out different joints for the drawer faces. I figured
that at some point somebody would overload them and we would "lose
face".. Your solution looks pretty darn sturdy.

Ron T

Thank you Ron!

First Dresser Update stoutman Woodworking 9 February 11th 06 02:46 AM
dresser top mike hide Woodworking 0 July 14th 05 10:23 PM
dresser base mike hide Woodworking 1 May 20th 05 03:28 PM
Dresser joint repair problem Dhakala Woodworking 7 May 13th 05 06:51 PM
Mold in dresser?!?! Perek75 Woodworking 6 March 7th 05 03:53 PM