Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default First Dresser Update

Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the drawers
that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am using
drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the drawers
that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will ride over
the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the
required gap. Crap.

You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the
only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

Thanks

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the

drawers
that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am using
drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the

drawers
that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will ride

over
the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the
required gap. Crap.

You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the
only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

You live and learn ... ALWAYS read the literature for you drawer slides
before you build your casework and drawers, as you've found out.

Any time you have to tip a drawer to get it into the slot, the drawer height
becomes muy important.

Good thing is that with false fronts drawer fronts your design mistake is
easily rectified, no one but us will ever know, and you'll be able to brag
in the future about the evenness in height of the top, back and sides of
your drawers.

.... and another lesson to take to heart for those folks who foolishly wanted
to do their drawers first.

BTW, you are gonna plug those screw holes, right?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Now you know why Norm almost always does a "prototype"....

MDF and melamine are your friend....(cheap prototype)

Next time..."always" buy the hardware before construction.

stoutman wrote:
Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the drawers
that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am using
drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the drawers
that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will ride over
the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the
required gap. Crap.

You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the
only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

You live and learn ... ALWAYS read the literature for you drawer slides
before you build your casework and drawers, as you've found out.

Hopefully this is one of those mistakes you only make once!

Any time you have to tip a drawer to get it into the slot, the drawer
height
becomes muy important.

Now you tell me...

Good thing is that with false fronts drawer fronts your design mistake is
easily rectified, no one but us will ever know, and you'll be able to brag
in the future about the evenness in height of the top, back and sides of
your drawers.

... and another lesson to take to heart for those folks who foolishly
wanted
to do their drawers first.

BTW, you are gonna plug those screw holes, right?

Yes, I'm plugging with cherry. The drawer pulls will also be made of
cherry.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Hopefully this is one of those mistakes you only make once!

The more it hurt$, the more that is likely.

BTW, you are gonna plug those screw holes, right?

Yes, I'm plugging with cherry. The drawer pulls will also be made of
cherry.

That even makes _me_ feel better. Seriously, it's gonna be a nice
project and you've a right to be proud of it as it will become a family
heirloom.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Swingman" wrote in message
"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Hopefully this is one of those mistakes you only make once!

The more it hurt$, the more that is likely.

BTW, you are gonna plug those screw holes, right?

Yes, I'm plugging with cherry. The drawer pulls will also be made of
cherry.

That even makes _me_ feel better. Seriously, it's gonna be a nice
project and you've a right to be proud of it as it will become a family
heirloom.

Thank you. It's a good thing I did a drawer test fit before using glue!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
m...
Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the
drawers that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am
using drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the
drawers that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will
ride over the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers
down to the required gap. Crap.

You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the
only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

Thanks

What kind of joints did you use to assemble the frame?

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

What kind of joints did you use to assemble the frame?

I used all loose tenon joinery with the exception of the lower front rail
where I used biscuits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Eugene Nine

stoutman wrote:

Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on the
drawers
that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett joint. I am using
drawer slides and realized after assembling (no glue only screw) the
drawers that I need a larger gap at the top so that the drawer guides will
ride over
the little bumps/humps. Now I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the
required gap. Crap.

You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet (the
only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I make the fix).

http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm

I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

Thanks

I did the same thing but after I had glued. So I ended up ripping completed
drawers, kind of how when you make a box then rip it to make the lid open,
just rotated the 4 sides through the saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

stoutman (in ) said:

| Still working on my future sons dresser. I have been working on
| the drawers that are constructed using a screw reinforced rabbett
| joint. I am using drawer slides and realized after assembling (no
| glue only screw) the drawers that I need a larger gap at the top so
| that the drawer guides will ride over the little bumps/humps. Now
| I have to re-rip all the drawers down to the required gap. Crap.

Sure am glad _I_ never made a misteak like that. :-D

| You can see it he The drawers are not screwed to the slides yet
| (the only way I could get the drawers in for the picture until I
| make the fix).
|
| http://garagewoodworks.com/Dresser.htm
|
| I still need to make the drawer fronts. Please give feedback.

In spite of the short delay while some minor adjustments are being
made, it appears to me that things are proceeding pretty smoothly for
a first time effort.

I'm looking foreward to seeing your pictures of the finished dresser!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

dresser top mike hide Woodworking 0 July 14th 05 10:23 PM
Dresser joint repair problem Dhakala Woodworking 7 May 13th 05 06:51 PM
CAX, CAD, CAM, CAE, electronics, EDA, LSI, PCB, FPGA, VHDL, & Other Design CDs ::::::: , updated 03/Feb/2005 futa Metalworking 0 February 5th 05 06:13 PM
CAX,CAD,CAM,CAE,electronics,EDA.LSI,PCB,FPGA,VHDL,&Other Design CDs ::::::: , updated 12/Jan/2005 ola Electronics Repair 0 January 14th 05 03:05 PM
dust and my furnace (Update 2) Larry Levinson Woodworking 13 January 22nd 04 04:00 PM