Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

Default Lay out a sine curve?

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:50:26 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

That's a cycloid, not a sine. Still far and away the easiest is to
use a graphing program like Graphmatica

Sounds interesting, but I have not been able to find it. Is that name
correct? If so, would you happen to know what directory it's in?

The address is correct: http://archives.math.utk.edu

Top right, Software section, click "Windows...."
Choose "Graphing programs", and there find Graphmatica.
It's labelled as shareware, but the author generously offers it free
if not affordable.

Click that, then choose grmat16n.zip for the latest Windows version.
It will do for the shop, for the kids in high school, or in college
and university. Type in a function as done normally: e.g. y =
2sin(x), no need for 2*sin(x) etc.. You can graph an ellipse as well,
but that can be done as readily, and to scale in a simple but powerful
CAD such as DeltaCad.

Default is a coloured background, and coloured curves, but you can
change that to white. You can do more than one in one shot. Tons
more software there, but not for this forum. I just mentioned it for
anyone wanting some usual or unusual math curve.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Oleg Lego wrote:
The Guess who entity posted thusly:

That's a cycloid, not a sine. Still far and away the easiest is to
use a graphing program like Graphmatica [download from
archives.math.utk.edu ...it's awesome and free.] Type in y=sin(x)
ENTER, and you then print from there or copy/paste into a word
processor. Less than a minute if you have both programs up and
running.

Sounds interesting, but I have not been able to find it. Is that name
correct? If so, would you happen to know what directory it's in?

http://archives.math.utk.edu/softwar...ng/grmat/.html

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

wrote:

That's a cycloid, not a sine. Still far and away the easiest is to
use a graphing program like Graphmatica

Sounds interesting, but I have not been able to find it. Is that name
correct? If so, would you happen to know what directory it's in?

The address is correct: http://archives.math.utk.edu

Ahh.. thanks. My problem was in using ftp, and couldn't find it in the
directory tree. Turns out Enoch pointed me at it, in a directory
(msdos) that I would never have thought to look in. Anyway, that
pointed me to the author's web site, and I grabbed the latest version
(2.0n).

That's a slick little program. Gonna try making some paraboloids.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:50:30 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

That's a slick little program. Gonna try making some paraboloids.

That will be difficult, since it's all 2D. I could point to some 3D
software, but you still won't get it to leap off the paper. Stick to
the 2D and rotate the finished template.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Sine curves don't faintly resemble the conic projections, ellipse and
parabola except that they are all curves, which includes an infinite
family of exponentials, logarithmic, etc. etc.
Since wine bottles are basically cylinders, the family of conic
projections will fit them precisely. If you want some air space between
the bottle and rack, then almost anything should do. Those interested
should open a book on analytical geometry.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sine curves don't faintly resemble the conic projections, ellipse and
parabola except that they are all curves, which includes an infinite
family of exponentials, logarithmic, etc. etc.

Except that ellipses have curves with more than 1 radius similar to
sections of a sine wave.

Since wine bottles are basically cylinders, the family of conic
projections will fit them precisely.

Which is why I indicated an arc will fit more closely fit or follow the
shape of a bottle than an ellipse. An arc is a section of a circle. An
ellipse is a circle illustrated in isometric or 3d format.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

wrote:

That's a slick little program. Gonna try making some paraboloids.

That will be difficult, since it's all 2D. I could point to some 3D
software, but you still won't get it to leap off the paper. Stick to
the 2D and rotate the finished template.

That was my plan... I only need a few templates to form a framework to
be filled. I was going to use the "hanging chain catenary" for it, but
this will be easier.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:50:59 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

That was my plan... I only need a few templates to form a framework to
be filled. I was going to use the "hanging chain catenary" for it, but
this will be easier.

They are different. You can still as easily plot the catenary though
if that's what you want. Nobody will notice the difference [or be too
interested.] You'll need the parabola if you need a focal point.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

wrote:

That was my plan... I only need a few templates to form a framework to
be filled. I was going to use the "hanging chain catenary" for it, but
this will be easier.

They are different. You can still as easily plot the catenary though
if that's what you want. Nobody will notice the difference [or be too
interested.] You'll need the parabola if you need a focal point.

Interesting. I was told that a catenary was a parabola. Of course it
was a web page somewhere that told me this, and we all know how
absolutely accurate web pages are. I will need a focal point, so
thanks for the info.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:41:48 -0600, Oleg Lego
wrote:

They are different. You can still as easily plot the catenary though
if that's what you want. Nobody will notice the difference [or be too
interested.] You'll need the parabola if you need a focal point.

Interesting. I was told that a catenary was a parabola. Of course it
was a web page somewhere that told me this, and we all know how
absolutely accurate web pages are. I will need a focal point, so
thanks for the info.

The parabola is a conic section. The catenary's a different ball of
wax involving exponentials. Have fun looking into it. I'll end it
here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:47:10 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

For a wine rack, I think I'd want concave circular arcs to support the
bottles

That was my own thought. I was just having a bit of fun. One of the
best and most practical approaches is to look at where you "think"
you'd like the curve to go, and make a few marks. Then join the dots
with the French Curve. If anyone does get carried away with the
esoteric, and I've seen some fine woodworking that really was a work
of art, they might look here for further inspirationin their "famous
curves index":

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/

Copy/paste works just fine.