Posted to rec.woodworking

Default B & D Firestorm Compressor, brad nailer combo

OK, guys. Here's what I want to do. Repair a section of fencing (1/4
cyprus boards nailed to 1 X 2's). Maybe 100-200 brads. Install molding
around perimeter of ceiling in a couple of rooms. Again, maybe 100
fasteners. Then build wooden frans for my wife's art projects. 16
fasteners per, and then just ocasionally. Was headed to Harbour Freight
for a $100.00 6 or 8 gallon compressor and $15.00 brad nailer, but
stumbled across a Black $ Decker "Firestorm" 2 gallon with included
nailer, hose, fittings, etc for the same price. Have not actually
looked at either that close, but assume everything I'm looking at is
"cheap Chinese junk", but, hey, I'm not in construction or a production
setting; just a homeowner wood hacker. Anybody have experience with
these tools or advice you are willing to share?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking
bdeditch

I bought the Husky 1 Gallon Combo from HD and it good for me. You never
mentioned what size the nailer can use. The Husky is good to 1 1/4" 18
Gauge Brad. I bought a Harborfreight one that goes to 2"
wrote:
OK, guys. Here's what I want to do. Repair a section of fencing (1/4
cyprus boards nailed to 1 X 2's). Maybe 100-200 brads. Install molding
around perimeter of ceiling in a couple of rooms. Again, maybe 100
fasteners. Then build wooden frans for my wife's art projects. 16
fasteners per, and then just ocasionally. Was headed to Harbour Freight
for a $100.00 6 or 8 gallon compressor and $15.00 brad nailer, but
stumbled across a Black $ Decker "Firestorm" 2 gallon with included
nailer, hose, fittings, etc for the same price. Have not actually
looked at either that close, but assume everything I'm looking at is
"cheap Chinese junk", but, hey, I'm not in construction or a production
setting; just a homeowner wood hacker. Anybody have experience with
these tools or advice you are willing to share?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
OK, guys. Here's what I want to do. Repair a section of fencing (1/4
cyprus boards nailed to 1 X 2's). Maybe 100-200 brads.

Oups,,, stop right there. You want nails with larger heads than brads for
out door fence work if you want it to stay together.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

wrote in message

OK, guys. Here's what I want to do. Repair a section of fencing (1/4
cyprus boards nailed to 1 X 2's). Maybe 100-200 brads.

Hmmmmm... you might use that many brads just to hold the first board on
permanantly.

Install molding
around perimeter of ceiling in a couple of rooms.

Maybe, but I believe most of the lower priced brad nailers such as you
mention below are 18ga nailers - correct? Don't believe I'd use and 18ga
brad for trim. Others may have different opinions.

Again, maybe 100
fasteners. Then build wooden frans for my wife's art projects. 16
fasteners per, and then just ocasionally.

I expect this would work with a judicious application of wood glue.

Was headed to Harbour Freight
for a $100.00 6 or 8 gallon compressor and $15.00 brad nailer, but
stumbled across a Black $ Decker "Firestorm" 2 gallon with included
nailer, hose, fittings, etc for the same price. Have not actually
looked at either that close, but assume everything I'm looking at is
"cheap Chinese junk", but, hey, I'm not in construction or a production
setting; just a homeowner wood hacker. Anybody have experience with
these tools or advice you are willing to share?

Frames are light weight work. Fences are not. Yeah - these are Chinese
tools, but not all Chinese tools are junk. For frames and light weight work
they will probably last forever, and that makes them quite a tool. Possibly
even for molding, but like I said, I wouldn't use an 18ga brad for that.
Maybe not even a 16ga. You should probably rely more on a consensus for
this, than on my opinion. For the work you describe and from what one might
anticipate your long term desires to be (based upon this brief description),
I'd say it sounds like you'd want two guns. One light weight brad nailer
and one nail gun.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 03:46:52 GMT, wrote:

a Black $ Decker "Firestorm"

No, just don't.

Black & Decker stuff is rubbish, but the "Firestorm" range is
barrel-scrapingly bad, even for them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Black & Decker stuff is rubbish, but the "Firestorm" range is
barrel-scrapingly bad, even for them.

Are you serious? After all, a name like "firestorm" is tough, rugged,
powerful, has plenty of energy. The B & D marketing department wouldn't use
such a strong name unless it was high quality powerful tools. It is a name
of a tool to be use by, professionals, craftsmen, you might say. Hey wait,
that just gave me an idea for a name of tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:07:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Are you serious? After all, a name like "firestorm" is tough, rugged,
powerful, has plenty of energy.

Yes. There's a recall out on the Firestorm jigsaws(?) after they
overheated and caught fire.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Yes. There's a recall out on the Firestorm jigsaws(?) after they
overheated and caught fire.

So it was appropriately named!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the replys! Found a "reconditioned" Dewalt D55151R
compressor @ Tyler Tool for $143 & change with free shipping. That's in
my budget.

Now for other issues and further explaination. 18 gauge brads or
staples will work fine for the fence project. Am just dismanteling a
former gate (about 36") and nailing the boards to stringers. The
original construction was staples into 1 X 2's and that's lasted 20
years so far.

Sorry, but I don't umderstand why I need a heavier gun for the moulding.
1-1/2" brads should be plenty long enough, no?

Yes, the picture framing application is just to hold everything together
while the glue dries.

Thanks, again. Any further thoughts?

arbee