Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Quick dry varnish?

I have an old hardwood floor that was originally varnished but has been
ignored for years. What would be the quickest drying varnish or varnish
mix that I could apply randomly to worn areas? Uncooperative members of
the household and pets make long dry-times and large applications
impractical. Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

wrote:

I have an old hardwood floor that was originally varnished but has
been ignored for years. What would be the quickest drying varnish
or varnish mix that I could apply randomly to worn areas?
Uncooperative members of the household and pets make long
dry-times and large applications impractical. Thanks!

I used minwax semi-gloss poly (the label says "good for floors") and
put it on in two med-thin coats with a pad applicator. Drying time was
measured in hours per coat and it looks great.

Hopefully you can exercise control over the various members of your
household for a few hours ;-)

Joe Barta
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Boettcher wrote:

Water based polys are probably the quickest dry time
[...]
Down side is that they might raise your grain a bit if the floor isn't
fully sealed. And you will have to check on compatibility with your
existing coating.

Yeah, I'd sorta prefer an olde tyme varnish recipe since that must be
what is on the floor now. Tried BLO on a few areas. Maybe I could just
go with BLO and wax?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

I have used a mix of Tung oil and Shellac applied with a wiping pad
with good success. Maintenance coats and repair of scuffed areas is
easy.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking

From experience.

Spot finishing the floor will give that area some protection as
opposed to wearing away the bare wood and doing this is better than
nothing.

You will not be happy, because your wife will not be happy, and she
will tell you why - because the floor will now have new looking
shiney spots and everthing else will look dull. Kind of like painting
the rust spots on the old truck with green fence paint. This is an
insult to your wife's (your's too) cleaning habits, her upbringing and
her parentage. She may even throw God in the mix.

You can say things like; It's only temporary until summer when we can
do the entire floor with the windows open. We need to mitigate the
terrible wear on the wood now. And when the dog licks it, he's only
checking to see if it's dry.

She will not believe you. She knows you. You may die from severe
blood lose in the night.

Put your affairs in order before you proceed.

MGHMOYS
Pete

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I think "zero" protection is what I have now... traffic areas
with virtually bare wood.

JGS wrote:
That will give you zero protection. JG

wrote:

Yeah, I'd sorta prefer an olde tyme varnish recipe since that must be
what is on the floor now. Tried BLO on a few areas. Maybe I could just
go with BLO and wax?

Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

You ought to check out the zar poly's. They dry quickly, flow on
great, build very well, are low odor. I used minwax poly once, was not
satisfied at all. It built very slowly, didn't level worth a darn.
MBR

Irwin Quick Grip clamps vs Jorgensen ISD clamps Ranger Paul Woodworking 0 January 12th 06 04:43 AM
solvent-based varnish on top of water-based? [email protected] UK diy 3 July 5th 05 02:52 PM
Varnish storage... bkr Woodworking 25 March 7th 05 07:29 PM
Desperately need help: Woodstain over old Varnish won't dry! L Beck Woodworking 18 December 27th 03 07:32 PM
Varnish Finish Failure Joe Nation Woodworking 4 November 26th 03 12:48 AM