Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking
Woodchuck34

Default My Grandpa Died, Need some help with his tools

I don't think I've ever mentioned to the group that my Grandfather died
about 1 year and a half ago. He fought a good fight but because he had
diabetes, the doctors couldn't do much to help him with his congestive
heart failure and kidney failure, apparently the medicines for each of
those things make the other worse. So he decided to not get further
treatment and go peacefully in his own home. The best and worst thing
I ever did was stand next to that bed and watch him shake when the time
came. Still have nightmares.

The reason its relevant to this group is because my Grandfather was the
man who got me interested in woodworking. About 9 years ago, right
after my wife and I got married and not having much money, he taught me
how to re-finish a beat up bedroom set that I had. Same set that my
son now sleeps on.

I'd show up on the weekends at 7:30 in the morning and he'd already be
waiting impatiently with the garage doors up. Wasting work time and
all. Every time I was there, he'd start the day the same way. He'd
make some sort of dramatic pause and say "you'll have to excuse me
while I put my flag up". He was a proud WWII vet. He'd raise the flag
and then come back over to me and say "I guess I'm the only American on
the block", looking up and down the street for signs of another flag.
I've flown mine ever since.

We'd work the whole day, but it always went by so fast. Sometimes you
just have a different conversation with your Grandfather when no one
else is around. After finishing that project, we built Adirondack
Chairs, then cabinets, finished a basement...I caught the bug, and ever
since I haven't been happy on the weekends unless I'm covered in
sawdust. Can you believe some people actually golf?

I guess I just wanted to thank him for what he did for me.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this now is that I have been summoned to
go through his tools, decide what I would like to keep, and salvage the
rest. My Grandmother wants me to find people who will use his stuff.
I'm not exactly sure what I'll find, but I know I've been given Disson
Saws, Stanely Planes, etc. He only bought good stuff.

My question/concern is how do I figure out how much this stuff is
worth. Is there a good book I should get? Is there a good website?
Of course, if I'll post the good stuff for the Neanders here, just
looking for someone who will use them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Chuck