Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default My Grandpa Died, Need some help with his tools

On 2 Feb 2006 13:30:21 -0800, "Woodchuck34"
wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what I'll find, but I know I've been given Disson
Saws, Stanely Planes, etc. He only bought good stuff.

Quality (in woodworking tools) doesn't boost the price much, it's rarity
that does it. A Stanley #1 or #2 is no better made than a #4, but the
price is incomparable.

In a typical toolbox you find a whole pile of stuff that's sheer junk, a
bunch that's useful (much of which you already have) and possibly the
one rarity that in strict money terms is worth more than the rest put
together. Take out what's useful to you first of all. Then if you're
trying to put a pricetag on things, you really have to be careful
because you're spotting a needle in a haystack.

My question/concern is how do I figure out how much this stuff is
worth. Is there a good book I should get?

www.supertool.com is always useful as a reference and the little pocket
book from "The Old Tool Shop" in Marietta, Ohio is one of the few price
guides that's affordable. Watch the auction prices too.

Mainly though it's the arcane knowledge that a #12 1/2 scraper is cheap
and a #12 3/4 (practically the same gadget) is silly money in
comparison. It's about _spotting_ the one that's "valuable", not getting
the closest estimate on the actual price.