Posted to rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default My Grandpa Died, Need some help with his tools

Woodchuck34 wrote:
Anyway, the reason I'm writing this now is that I have been summoned to
go through his tools, decide what I would like to keep, and salvage the
rest. My Grandmother wants me to find people who will use his stuff.
I'm not exactly sure what I'll find, but I know I've been given Disson
Saws, Stanely Planes, etc. He only bought good stuff.

My question/concern is how do I figure out how much this stuff is
worth. Is there a good book I should get? Is there a good website?
Of course, if I'll post the good stuff for the Neanders here, just
looking for someone who will use them.

There's the traditional answer of "It's not worth anything; I'll do you
a favor and take it off your hands for free, though...."

With that out of the way, I second the idea of looking at _completed_
eBay auctions for an idea of prices. That's the best place I've found
for getting an idea of what people will really pay for things (which is
often a bit different from what the price guides say!). Do look at a
few different auctions, though; I've seen the exact same item in
identical condition go for $28 one week and $8 the next.

Condolences on your grandfather's passing, too, and thanks for sharing
the good memories.

- Brooks