Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Mark

Default Present Suggestions

Hi

My Dad is retiring soon, and I think he would like wood working as a
hobby. I would like to get him a book (or two) and some good quality
tools. I'm looking to spend £100-£200 - any suggestions as to what
would be a good selection to start with? (He has loads of DIY style
tools, saws, drill etc).

Cheers

Mark

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

My father in law is in his late 60's. We recently setup him up with a
Jet mini lath and some basic gouges. He loves it

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Juergen Hannappel

Bruce Barnett writes:

writes:

My father in law is in his late 60's. We recently setup him up with a
Jet mini lath and some basic gouges. He loves it

I was going to say the same thing.

A lathe is a great way to relax, and it's perfect for making hundreds
of christmas presents for the family.

.... and incredible amounts of wood chips and dust, so it's not a good
idea if you have nno suitable room for it.

--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe
Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Andy

My favorite basic beginning woodworking book is "The Complete Book of
Woodworking: Detailed Plans for More Than 40 Fabulous Projects". No
longer available directly from Amazon, but a few used copies are
available. Great intro to wood and woodworking, with some good plans
(and some really simple ones). Highly recommended.
I don't have a lathe, but if I were getting a gift for my retiring dad,
I'd seriously consider one. Good idea.
If you think he'd be interested in more traditional tools, and he's
more interested in the woodworking process than making things quickly,
I'd consider hand tools. Let's see - a japanese Ryoba saw, a basic set
of chisels, a Lee Valley Low Angle block plane, a combination
waterstone for sharpening, a selection of clamps including some bar and
some spring, and a combination square should be a good set to get
started, and could cost somewhere around $300US if you didn't get
top-of-the-line everything. (All that stuff is available from Lee
Valley for a little under $300, but I don't know how their shipping is
to the UK.) I think that should be in your 100-200 pound range, isn't
it? That's assuming he has stuff like glue, sandpaper, a workmate or
something to serve as a bench, etc.
Sounds like a fun shopping trip!
Enjoy,
Andy

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

How about Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...072,43091&ap=1
Whatever tools he gets they'll just be frustrating to use if they're not
sharp, and this book covers sharpening for most anything you can think of.
Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
Dave W

My favorite tool presents have been gift certificates for places that sell
really nice tools. Alternatively, a good local woodworking school may have
something in your price range. Personally, I would hate to get a lathe and
tools as a present if I had no interest in turning. Taking a class or two
may lead to the direction of interest.
Dave

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Gordon Airporte wrote:
How about Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening?

An extremely useful book, on a very boring subject.

Boring until a woodworker realizes what properly sharpened hand tools
can do! G

Barry

Posted to free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Thank you very much gentlemen - some very useful suggestions. I will
investigate further!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:13:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Mike
Berger quickly quoth:

(dumbass top posting corrected)

B a r r y wrote:
Gordon Airporte wrote:

How about Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening?

An extremely useful book, on a very boring subject.

Boring until a woodworker realizes what properly sharpened hand tools
can do! G

Yeah, but does it cover sharpening boring tools?

No, only WILDLY EXCITING TOOLS! Uncle Len's book is great.

Yeah, he covers augers, twist drills, forstners, spades, hole saws,
tapered twist, plug cutters...almost everything.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Posted to rec.woodworking

I would take a serious look at a lathe myself. It has not gone
unnoticed in the turning community how many of us are middle to senior
aged.

It is popular for a lot of reasons, certainly the first one being that
it is a lot of fun. But also, unless you want to, you don't have to
learn measuring, fitting, or work with plans.
If you are committed to turning, you will eventually need to do those
things, but you really don't need to. In the mean time, a few simple
skills will go a long way and you can learn as you turn.

The thing that seems to get most of the guys going is the fact that
they can take a chunk of wood from the road, the dump, from trimming
their trees, etc., and make bowls, ornaments, and any number of
projects.

Oh yeah, and it is really fun.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 26 Jan 2006 08:52:39 -0800, "Mark" wrote:

Hi

My Dad is retiring soon, and I think he would like wood working as a
hobby. I would like to get him a book (or two) and some good quality
tools. I'm looking to spend £100-£200 - any suggestions as to what
would be a good selection to start with? (He has loads of DIY style
tools, saws, drill etc).

Does he have a good workbench? You could get him a copy of "The
Workbench Book" by Scott Landis and a nice face vise.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:19:56 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm,
Juergen Hannappel quickly quoth:

writes:
[...]
Yeah, he covers augers, twist drills, forstners, spades, hole saws,
tapered twist, plug cutters...almost everything.

Spoon bits?

Good question. Hold on a sec.........No, I don't see it. But he covers
mortise chisels 'n bits, tenon cutters, and brad points, too.

For spoon bits, DAGSOI:
http://www.google.com/search?q=sharpen+spoon+bit

(DAGSOI = do a Google search on it)

-