BigD

Default Suggestions for production plywood cutting required.

Hello All,

I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels and am
looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle board in various
configurations in a production type atmosphere (ie. preferably automated).
Any suggestions on where to start my research would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

BigD

tom

www.giben.com, for one. Tom

Tom

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:56:58 GMT, "BigD"
wrote:

Hello All,

I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels and am
looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle board in various
configurations in a production type atmosphere (ie. preferably automated).
Any suggestions on where to start my research would be greatly appreciated.

Try Automation Devices in Mt. Belview, TX ( 281-383-3403 ) Lon builds
custom machinery to customer specs and does an excellent job. Good
luck. BTW - what part of the country are you planning to locate in?

Depending on specic requirements you could look at shop-bot.
http://www.shopbottools.com/

Morris Dovey

BigD (in KGoaf.399662$tl2.384079@pd7tw3no) said:

| Hello All,
|
| I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels
| and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle
| board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere
| (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my
| research would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you start by narrowing the problem:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and
shapes are you wanting to cut?
[2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
assembly, too?
[3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?
[4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

It's fairly difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that
information.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:53:08 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

BigD (in KGoaf.399662$tl2.384079@pd7tw3no) said:

| Hello All,
|
| I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels
| and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle
| board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere
| (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my
| research would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you start by narrowing the problem:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and
shapes are you wanting to cut?
[2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
assembly, too?
[3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?
[4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

It's fairly difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that
information.

hey Mo-
how much does a saw weigh?
BigD

Thanks for the response.

I'm in the preliminaries of putting together the game plan but here's what I
have:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and
shapes are you wanting to cut?

standard 4'x8' sheets

[2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
assembly, too?

initially no until I can prove the market and am up and running
and more experienced with which tools justify their cost

[3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?

again - too early to tell

[4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

how long is a piece of string? I was looking at initial start-up
of between $50k - $100k to include everything. I'd prefer something a little
more labour intensive at the start and then upgrade at a later date.

My last business was a stainless shop and I made the mistake of following my
ex-partner's suggestions on what tools to purchase, we bought all new
equipment which most of we barely used or could have purchases on the used
market for 25% .... but we still made very nice breweries. So am trying to
get a feel for what is out there (prior to sticking my foot in my mouth) and
what each level of automation costs/ production output.

Regards,

Darryl

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
BigD (in KGoaf.399662$tl2.384079@pd7tw3no) said:

| Hello All,
|
| I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels
| and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle
| board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere
| (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my
| research would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you start by narrowing the problem:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and
shapes are you wanting to cut?
[2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
assembly, too?
[3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?
[4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

It's fairly difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that
information.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

BigD

yeah yeah - how longs a piece of string?

wrote:

BigD (in KGoaf.399662$tl2.384079@pd7tw3no) said:

| Hello All,
|
| I'm costing putting together a company to manufacture house panels
| and am looking for tool suggestions for cutting plywood & particle
| board in various configurations in a production type atmosphere
| (ie. preferably automated). Any suggestions on where to start my
| research would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you start by narrowing the problem:

[1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes and
shapes are you wanting to cut?
[2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
assembly, too?
[3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?
[4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)

It's fairly difficult to provide a meaningful answer without that
information.

hey Mo-
how much does a saw weigh?

Morris Dovey

BigD (in E15bf.410592$1i.163654@pd7tw2no) said:

| Thanks for the response.
|
| I'm in the preliminaries of putting together the game plan but
| here's what I have:
|
| [1] How big are the house panels and what materials in what sizes
| and
|| shapes are you wanting to cut?
|
| standard 4'x8' sheets
|
|| [2] Do you want to automate just the cutting - or do you want
|| assembly, too?
|
| initially no until I can prove the market and am up and
| running and more experienced with which tools justify their cost
|
|| [3] What is your panel per day/hour/minute/second target?
|
| again - too early to tell
|
|| [4] How much are you _willing_ to spend? :-)
|
| how long is a piece of string? I was looking at initial
| start-up of between $50k - $100k to include everything. I'd prefer
| something a little more labour intensive at the start and then
| upgrade at a later date.
|
| My last business was a stainless shop and I made the mistake of
| following my ex-partner's suggestions on what tools to purchase, we
| bought all new equipment which most of we barely used or could have
| purchases on the used market for 25% .... but we still made very
| nice breweries. So am trying to get a feel for what is out there
| (prior to sticking my foot in my mouth) and what each level of
| automation costs/ production output.

Darryl...

You might take a close look at used ShopBot CNC routers. I've seen 'em
offered for as low as US$2K (once) and a number of times in the $6K
ballpark. The PRT-96 standard machine can handle 4x8 sheet stock and
can handle internal cut-outs.

Having taken that close look, it might pay you to lurk at the CNCZone
forum and learn how to build your own machine - it's not as difficult
as you'd probably imagine. I think you could probably design and build
a combination saw/router CNC machine for an amount around $2500 if you
shop carefully. OTS motor controllers make it relatively easy to use
inexpensive control software (I'm not sure if there's freeware
available; but it'd be worth looking for.)

Typically, you'd create a DXF (drawing) file and feed that (or a
converted version of that) to your control software, which would then
control the cutting to produce what you'd drawn. No magic required;
and relatively little cash needed.