Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default What are the reasons so few modern planes measure up to the old one?

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
Let us know how strait and true you are at 114.

the floors slope and slop like a rough day at sea...but
I'll readiy admit it's "charming" and looks "lived in!"

Another point, here, too: the houses that stand, as goofy footed as they may
be, are the good ones. Everything else has collapsed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Charles Self" wrote in message

Sometimes I have to wonder about the economies of scale. How much extra

per
plane the customers keep is added to the cost because of the planes
customers return because they're trashy (the planes are trashy, not the
customers)? Would we pay an extra two bucks, or however much, per plane
reduce the crappiness?

Sad, but I'd bet the above no longer even enters the equation in today's
topsy turvy, MBA tainted, business model.

Upper management remuneration, stock price, and employee benefits/perks
appear to be foremost in current business philosophy, not product quality
or
service.

Whereas if the latter two are foremost, the first three seem to take care
of
themselves ... just ask Robin Lee.

Wedding announcement in today's Roanoke paper: nice looking couple, so you
wouldn't suspect...the woman has her MBA, the guy is finishing his up.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am starting to slip down the slope and have acquired several
handplanes. Nothing great: a Stanley #4, a block plane, and I found an
old Stanley router plane at a garage sale for $3.00--only one cutter
but it is in good condition.
snip

Lee Valley has a new router plane design and their cutters will fit your
Stanley router plane.

Someone stole both my Stanley router planes a few years ago. I've got an
ECE, but will have to look into the Veritas.

FS 30% off all planes Steve knight Woodworking 0 July 6th 05 05:27 PM
FS clearance on old style planes 50% off and shipping. Steve Knight Woodworking 12 April 1st 05 05:35 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
How do shorted electrolyic capacitors measure up? Asimov Electronics Repair 0 May 15th 04 05:02 AM
Can you measure Impedance with an Ohm Meter....... Verdons Electronics Repair 9 July 19th 03 06:16 PM