Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to attach spice rack to hollow core door?

I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to
hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the
rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive
through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to
hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the
rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive
through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

Use the self threading anchors similar to the ones that screw into sheet
rock. Or mount it high enough on the door that you hit the solid piece at
the top.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 2:43pm (EST-3) doth asketh:
snip Liquid Nails, maybe?

Why not?

JOAT
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about
Hilary Clinton.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gerald Ross

J T wrote:

JOAT
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about
Hilary Clinton.

Love your tagline. Wanna Swap?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I couldn't care less about apathy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny

Change the door ..... or build one.

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

Lew Hodgett wrote:

15 minutes after I send this, I'm going to remember the name of that
f**king fastner.G

Lew

Okay Lew, 15 minutes are up. :-) Take your pick:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infanchor.shtm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

Okay Lew, 15 minutes are up. :-) Take your pick:

Molly Bolt.

BTW, it only took about 2 minutesG.

Too many yaers in the hardware store I guess.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I just did something similar - attached squares of 1/2" plywood to an
interior door (I was actually making a table, but the principle is the
same). To attach the plywood, I sanded any finish off the door, used
wood glue to attach the ply to the door, and a bunch of countersunk
5/8" wood screws to hold the ply on while the glue dried. Clamps would
have worked too, but I thought a bunch of screws would distribute the
pressure better. Some of the screws stripped the soft wood on the door
"skin" pretty easily, but most of them held the ply on tightly while
the glue dried. There's so much glue area I'm not worried about
whether the screws hold long-term. If I wanted to mount something like
a spice rack that I might want to remove at some point, I'd glue/screw
a piece of plywood to the door, then attach the rack to the plywood.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
L d'Bonnie

I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to
hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the
rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive
through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?

Build the rack to fit the full space between the door jambs and fasten
to the solid wood at the edge of the door or make a 3/4 inch panel the
width of the space between the door jambs then fasten the spice rack to
the panel. Some hollow core doors are little more than a cardboard
sandwich, barely enough there to hold some sort of a finish but there
is enough meat at the edges to hold a hinge.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dgadams

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:43:02 -0800, phildcrowNOSPAM wrote:

I'm building a fairly substantial spice rack (18x38) and am planning to
hang it on the inside of my pantry door. I'm worried, though, that the
rack, loaded with spices, may just pull out screws that I'd drive
through the veneer. Any suggestions? Liquid Nails, maybe?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

Several good replies already, but here is my 2 cents:

It really depends on the hollow core door. I've autopsied a unit from
my house. It was a 1/8" thick panel of MDF covered with a really really
thin veneer. The side rails are about 1 inch MDF except for the area
around the door knob. The bulk of the space is a cardboard matrix. I'd
agree that a door of such construction probably can't support much weight
using screws or even molly bolts through the face. You need to:

1) screw into the top or side rails
2) Hang the blasted thing from the top
3) Get enough surface adhesion on the door to hold the shelf up.
4) French cleat.

The answer I like the best is the french cleat glued and bolted to
the panel. If possible get some screws into the rails also. So I'm
recommending a hybrid from some of the other great replies. They do
make hollow core doors of better construction. If you have something
better, than I've got, then you could go with a simpler fastening system.

DGA

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 7:03pm (Gerald*Ross) doeth
wanteth?
Love your tagline. Wanna Swap?

Help yerself.