Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 650 vs 1200 CFM for Dust Collection Questions

Hi Wreckers.

Close to starting my dust collection system

1) 18x18 Shop. I expect longest runs to be 10 feet.
2) Multiple machines hooked up, but only one at a time
- Mitre Saw
- Table Saw
- Router in table
- Drill Press
- FUTU Planar, Jointer, etc.
3) Planning to run a main 4 inch pipe, with blast gates to sub pipes.
3) Im in Canada - note the currency!

Im torn between a 650 cfm vs 1200 cfm machine. Im looking at

a) $229.00 - King 1HP 650CFM:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=19&ID=893
b) $379.00 - King 2HP 1200CFM:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=19&ID=895

(The $200 price difference is alot imo.)

This post has a response from Robin Lee stating that 1200cfm is
overkill has swayed me as well:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...518b8c1585920f

Given all this above, here are my questions!

1) Given my specs above what would you reccomend - 650 or 1200 cfm?
2) Has anyone had any experience with the King Dust Collections?
3) If you have a similar 650 or 1200 machine - how do you feel about it
- mish you had more, more than you need?

Also note - the money I save on the smaller system could be put into a
high quality 1micron bag, which I think might help me more in the long
run.

Thanks for all your response!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Im torn between a 650 cfm vs 1200 cfm machine. Im looking at

On closed machines (router tables, jointers...) 650 is perfectly adequate.
On open machines (CMS, TS) there is a big difference.
I just went from 1hp to 2hp for that reason.

Once again though, I will recommend used equipment. I bought a used 2hp
canister unit that had never even been turned on for US$200. (well actually
I had to buy a 2hp and a 1hp for $350, and I sold the 1hp for $150). You
probably won't get this lucky, but it is still worth looking.

BTW, your 2hp King DC isn't anywhere near 2hp, nor will it do 1200cfm. 2hp
motors will be about 16a. Also, having only one felt bag will really choke
the flow off. Either go for a canister filter or two felt bags. Canisters
are much nicer, but also more expensive.
I also take offense at their claiming 52-62db for the 1hp; it is only near
52db when it is in the next room. I haven't seen the machines, but based on
their advertising, I would advise against King.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yea, I'd have a tough time arguing that the King is a good brand - its
considered a bargin tool up here (perhaps along the lines of Chicago or
Harbour Freight in the US). (That said, I consider a DC a pretty
straightforward machine - I'd feel more comfortable with a no-name of
that as opposed to say a router or TS).

Re - HP, CFM and db claims. Yea, I hear ya - I take all that with a
grain of salt.

As for used - hey hey - I'm all for that. Trouble is I've had a tough
time finding a used DC - anyone selling or know of one in southern
ontario (Toronto ish) area?

Thanks for the comments.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Something to consider. I only see a $150 difference in price, not $200.
Also and more important to me would be bag capacity. With a 14x 24 bag, I
think it would be almost as much trouble keeping it empty as simply sweeping
up the dust with a broom. the larger unit has over twice the capacity of
waste storage. If you add a planer I can assure you that running 6 or 7, 8'
boards through it will produce a pile of saw dust that will probably fill
the smaller unit 2 or 3 times.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
2fatty

I think thats a little hard on King. I'd say they are more in-line with
Grizzly/GI/BusyBee.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yea, I'd have a tough time arguing that the King is a good brand - its
considered a bargin tool up here (perhaps along the lines of Chicago or
Harbour Freight in the US). (That said, I consider a DC a pretty
straightforward machine - I'd feel more comfortable with a no-name of
that as opposed to say a router or TS).

Re - HP, CFM and db claims. Yea, I hear ya - I take all that with a
grain of salt.

As for used - hey hey - I'm all for that. Trouble is I've had a tough
time finding a used DC - anyone selling or know of one in southern
ontario (Toronto ish) area?

Thanks for the comments.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Kolakowski

I've got a 20x20 shop, and have used a 650 cfm Jet dust collector for
several years. It handles my planer, jointer, tablesaw, router table,
etc., without a problem, as long as I've only got one machine
connected. I get by with a single 10' flexible hose, and don't know how
well it would work with metal or poly pipe plumbed through the shop. As
a hobbiest, the time it takes to move the hose from one machine to
another doesn't bother me, so I've not worried about a fixed
installation, and its' resulting loss of flow through elbows, etc. The
1 micron bag, or better yet, a canister, is on my wish list, however.

Ron

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dr. Deb

Toller wrote:

[...]

Excellent point about through flow. An option to spending the extra for a
two filter bag system is modify a one bag system to handle two. I did this
with my HF DC and it works like a champ. And at $159.00 for the basic
unit, less than $40 for the necessary hardware from HF and two "Shaker
Felt" bags from Highland Hwd (about $29 each), you have a system that is a
true 1150 - 1200 CFM and filters down to less than 1 micron.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Something to consider. I only see a $150 difference in price, not
$200"

K, ill meet you half way - 15% tax on $150.00 makese a difference
$172.50.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Connors

Speaking of loss of flow (ie resistance), a 10' section of flex is
equivalent to 30' of pipe.
Bag collectors will clear chips fine, but are useless against the very
fine dust (0.5 micron) that will kill your lungs over time or quicker
if you develop an allergy. Actually, they are worse than useless against
dust because all they do is pump the dust back into the shop and
recirculate it so you can breathe it!
Remember, 0.5 micron is the filtration you need to achieve.

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule: