Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default 650 vs 1200 CFM for Dust Collection Questions

Something to consider. I only see a $150 difference in price, not $200.
Also and more important to me would be bag capacity. With a 14x 24 bag, I
think it would be almost as much trouble keeping it empty as simply sweeping
up the dust with a broom. the larger unit has over twice the capacity of
waste storage. If you add a planer I can assure you that running 6 or 7, 8'
boards through it will produce a pile of saw dust that will probably fill
the smaller unit 2 or 3 times.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Wreckers.

Close to starting my dust collection system

1) 18x18 Shop. I expect longest runs to be 10 feet.
2) Multiple machines hooked up, but only one at a time
- Mitre Saw
- Table Saw
- Router in table
- Drill Press
- FUTU Planar, Jointer, etc.
3) Planning to run a main 4 inch pipe, with blast gates to sub pipes.
3) Im in Canada - note the currency!

Im torn between a 650 cfm vs 1200 cfm machine. Im looking at

a) $229.00 - King 1HP 650CFM:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=19&ID=893
b) $379.00 - King 2HP 1200CFM:
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=19&ID=895

(The $200 price difference is alot imo.)

This post has a response from Robin Lee stating that 1200cfm is
overkill has swayed me as well:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...518b8c1585920f

Given all this above, here are my questions!

1) Given my specs above what would you reccomend - 650 or 1200 cfm?
2) Has anyone had any experience with the King Dust Collections?
3) If you have a similar 650 or 1200 machine - how do you feel about it
- mish you had more, more than you need?

Also note - the money I save on the smaller system could be put into a
high quality 1micron bag, which I think might help me more in the long
run.

Thanks for all your response!