Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Connors

Default 650 vs 1200 CFM for Dust Collection Questions

Speaking of loss of flow (ie resistance), a 10' section of flex is
equivalent to 30' of pipe.
Bag collectors will clear chips fine, but are useless against the very
fine dust (0.5 micron) that will kill your lungs over time or quicker
if you develop an allergy. Actually, they are worse than useless against
dust because all they do is pump the dust back into the shop and
recirculate it so you can breathe it!
Remember, 0.5 micron is the filtration you need to achieve.

Ron Kolakowski wrote:
I've got a 20x20 shop, and have used a 650 cfm Jet dust collector for
several years. It handles my planer, jointer, tablesaw, router table,
etc., without a problem, as long as I've only got one machine
connected. I get by with a single 10' flexible hose, and don't know how
well it would work with metal or poly pipe plumbed through the shop. As
a hobbiest, the time it takes to move the hose from one machine to
another doesn't bother me, so I've not worried about a fixed
installation, and its' resulting loss of flow through elbows, etc. The
1 micron bag, or better yet, a canister, is on my wish list, however.

Ron

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule: