Posted to rec.woodworking
TwoGuns

Default I finally found a good use for old CD's.

I have several dozen old AOL CD's that I have kept just because I
figured someday I would find a good use for them. Well today I did find
ONE good way to use them. I needed a new filter for my old 5HP Sears
Shopvac. When I put it back together I couldn't find the old Filter
disc. I am afraid I accidentally left it on the old filter and it was
thrown in the trash ( trashday was yesterday). I got out my compass to
measure the size of the circle I would need so I could make a new disc
on my scroll saw and drill press. I just happened to have a music CD
laying on top of the computer and VIOLA the CD was almost exactly the
size I needed and the hole in the middle was the right size also. I put
an old AOL CD in place and I have been using the shop vac all morning
and it works great. Now if I can just find a few other things the old
CD's are good for. . . .
Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Puff Griffis wrote:

I hang them from strings in my vegetable garden to keep the birds
out. Puff

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't have
anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al keep me in
regular and cheap entertainment.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Warren Weber

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I keep my table saw blades on a wood dowel and space them with CD's to keep
teeth from touching. Also can use as spacers with a dado blade. Warren

Posted to rec.woodworking
TwoGuns

I keep my table saw blades on a wood dowel and space them with CD's to
keep
teeth from touching. Also can use as spacers with a dado blade. Warren
************************************************** *****************************************
That is a great idea Warren. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Warren Weber wrote:
"TwoGuns" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Damn, why didn't I think of that. I've been using
three thin wood strips between blades (blades
laid horizontal on an upright dowel) in a drawer.
Think I'll do some replacing.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Barry Lennox

On 30 Dec 2005 09:51:55 -0800, "TwoGuns"
wrote:

I have several dozen old AOL CD's

They make a great survival/signalling mirror. I don't go too far into
the wilderness without a couple packed away.

Barry Lennox
Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Joe Barta wrote:

Puff Griffis wrote:

I hang them from strings in my vegetable garden to keep the birds
out. Puff

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't have
anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al keep me in
regular and cheap entertainment.

That's rather hard on the microwave though

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

Somewhere online I saw a very cool (and apparently very heavy) lamp made
from a ~12" stack of these with a cold cathode light tube through the
middle. The light shines out through the edges for a nice diffuse effect.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't
have anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al
keep me in regular and cheap entertainment.

That's rather hard on the microwave though

Thanks for the warning. I mean, ever since I found hair growing on my
palms I learned to take such cautions seriously.

Seriously though, I suppose all that snap crackle pop *might* come at
some expense. But why and how is it hard on a microwave?

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

wrote:

I've been pirating junk from the net for ten years. I burn 3-4
DVDs a day now. I collect it like stamps.
I have at least 6000 CD/DVDs most are junk now.
That would be a stack about 40 feet high.

Most of what you have burned is "junk now" yet you still burn "3-4
DVDs a day"? I mean, we all collect and accumulate bits of crap we
find on the internet, but if we figure 4.7 Gb per disc, that's like 15
GIGAbytes of stuff per day! You are trying to set a record? What on
earth could you be collecting at that rate?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message

I use them for tons of other stuff.
You can cut them and heat bend them into fan shapes that spin like crazy

in the
wind. Scares away critters from the garden.

I tried using them for targets once, but they're too easy ... all my shots
were apparently bull's-eye's.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/30/2005 12:51 PM TwoGuns mumbled something about the following:
[...]

5 seconds in the microwave and use them as coffee coasters.

--
Odinn - more than my share of AOHell coffee coasters
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 12/31/2005 10:58 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the
following:
In article ,
Joe Barta wrote:

Puff Griffis wrote:

I hang them from strings in my vegetable garden to keep the birds
out. Puff

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't have
anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al keep me in
regular and cheap entertainment.

That's rather hard on the microwave though

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.

--
Odinn - hundreds of CD's microwaved in my $49 microwave with no ill effect.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The Joe Barta entity posted thusly:

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

And I do the old microwave thing from time to time when I don't
have anything particularly useful to do at the moment. AOL et al
keep me in regular and cheap entertainment.

That's rather hard on the microwave though

Thanks for the warning. I mean, ever since I found hair growing on my
palms I learned to take such cautions seriously.

Seriously though, I suppose all that snap crackle pop *might* come at
some expense. But why and how is it hard on a microwave?

Much, if not all, of that noise is caused by arcing inside the
magnetron (the part that actually produces the microwave energy).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
Odinn wrote:

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.

Sigh... do you know what a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR)is? Do you know what
a bad SWR means to a tranmission tube? Have you read the manual about
putting metal in the microwave? Do you know that it's the metal in the
CD that causes this reaction?

Why do I think the answer to the above questions are no

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 1/1/2006 11:26 AM Ralph E Lindberg mumbled something about the following:
In article ,
Odinn wrote:

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.

Sigh... do you know what a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR)is? Do you know what
a bad SWR means to a tranmission tube? Have you read the manual about
putting metal in the microwave? Do you know that it's the metal in the
CD that causes this reaction?

Why do I think the answer to the above questions are no

Funny how one of my microwaves has a metal rack in it, and it doesn't
say to remove it to use the microwave. Do try again.

--
Odinn
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

[...]

If you're really bored and looking for kid's toys to make:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkcdtop.html

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

On 1/1/2006 1:32 PM Odinn mumbled something about the following:
Odinn wrote:

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.

Sigh... do you know what a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR)is? Do you know
what a bad SWR means to a tranmission tube? Have you read the manual
about putting metal in the microwave? Do you know that it's the metal
in the CD that causes this reaction?

Why do I think the answer to the above questions are no

Funny how one of my microwaves has a metal rack in it, and it doesn't
say to remove it to use the microwave. Do try again.

I'll give you a hint though. The warning isn't because of damage to the
magnatron.

--
Odinn - another hint is at http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage3.html
Posted to rec.woodworking
Odinn

Odinn wrote:

Not at all, doesn't harm it one bit.
Sigh... do you know what a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR)is? Do you know
what a bad SWR means to a tranmission tube? Have you read the manual
about putting metal in the microwave? Do you know that it's the metal
in the CD that causes this reaction?

Why do I think the answer to the above questions are no

Funny how one of my microwaves has a metal rack in it, and it doesn't
say to remove it to use the microwave. Do try again.

I'll give you a hint though. The warning isn't because of damage to the
magnatron.

I have an old huge Panasonic convection microwave that is still my #1 kitchen
appliance. Because it is also convection this thing has accidentally microwaved
tons of metal. I even miked a 10 stack of CDs at once, now that was a show.g
It works as well now as it did new nearly 20 years ago.

I haven't tried a stack of 10 at a time, but I'm sure it would be quite
a show.

Have you tried the grape plasma arc yet?
http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma/

Nice show, especially if you have the lights off in the house.

--
Odinn - even boiling water in a microwave is dangerous

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , Odinn wrote:

Have you tried the grape plasma arc yet?
http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma/

Nice show, especially if you have the lights off in the house.

Try a marshmallow -- it'll swell up almost as large as a tennis ball. If you
have a microwave with variable power levels, the marshmallow will expand and
shrink, expand and shrink as the magnetron cycles on and off.

--
Regards,