Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Timber Polish

The following was given to me by a guy in OZ whose father had given it
to him.

Never tried it, but some of you finishing gurus might want to comment.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

WHITEYS TIMBER POLISH

Part One.

Sand up to 400-600 grade paper & rub with 0000 steel wool. Mix equal
parts of raw tung oil, boiled linseed oil & satin poly-urethane. Rub
oil mix into timber with clean, soft cloth. Rub well in & then remove
all excess oil with clean cloth. Repeat this 3-4 times.

Part Two.

Mix equal parts of raw tung oil & boiled linseed oil in a small pot &
place inside a larger pot. Pour water into the larger pot until half
way up the outsides of the smaller pot. Then place onto hot plate &
heat up the oil mix slowly. When warm, place a handful of shredded
beeswax into the oils, & when all the wax has melted, remove from
heat. Stir until cooled (usually takes 2 beers) & then keep this
creamy mix in a air tight jar. This will keep indefinately.

Rub this into timber 3-6 times (depends on project) & make sure you
remove all excess oil. This method of polishing furniture dates back
to the 18th century & was handed down to me by my Father (Master
Craftsman). Remember to soak all oily rags in water after use, as
they can self combust, (& burn down the bloody workshop). This polish
will repel water, red wine, coffee & hot plate stains. It gives the
most warm, earthy, touching feel to anything you will ever see. It
invites people to touch your furniture, as nature intended.

Any queries ? ring or Email me. Only too pleased to pass on this
wonderful finish.

Warm regards.
Gary White.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
k.net...
The following was given to me by a guy in OZ whose father had given it to
him.

Never tried it, but some of you finishing gurus might want to comment.

So, Minwax Wipe-on Poly followed for reasons unknown by a gummy soft wax
instead of carnauba.

Blokes liked beeswax, but then again they had butlers to constantly polish
the furniture....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:16:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hodgett quickly quoth:

The following was given to me by a guy in OZ whose father had given it
to him.

WHITEYS TIMBER POLISH

--snip--

Never tried it, but some of you finishing gurus might want to comment.

No guru here, just an obstinate and highly opinionated wooddorker.
I like it, but I prefer Waterlox. It takes those many steps and days
of hard work, then distills them into several short coats which can be
deglossed by using a scotchbrite or 0000 steel wool pad coated with
Jwax. Both have a hand (feel of the wood) ta die for with the
original color of the wood exposed, as nature intended.

Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online
Posted to rec.woodworking

Seems the second part of the formula is worth looking into. I believe
it is the formula that Sam Maloof uses on his rockers. He likes it for
the repairabililty, and ease of touch up, and the satin sheen it
leaves. I don't think he does any other surface prep though, just puts
it on warm.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB

I use part one. I typically mix in some mineral spirits to help
penetration on the first two coats. I also sand with 600 grit W/D when
applying. This type of mixture is sold under many names like Danish
oil. Mixing your own is simple and can save lots of money.

I've never tried the wax thing. Sound like something James Krenov uses.
If it's good enough for him, it might be worth trying.

MB