Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Timber Polish

The following was given to me by a guy in OZ whose father had given it
to him.

Never tried it, but some of you finishing gurus might want to comment.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

WHITEYS TIMBER POLISH

Part One.

Sand up to 400-600 grade paper & rub with 0000 steel wool. Mix equal
parts of raw tung oil, boiled linseed oil & satin poly-urethane. Rub
oil mix into timber with clean, soft cloth. Rub well in & then remove
all excess oil with clean cloth. Repeat this 3-4 times.

Part Two.

Mix equal parts of raw tung oil & boiled linseed oil in a small pot &
place inside a larger pot. Pour water into the larger pot until half
way up the outsides of the smaller pot. Then place onto hot plate &
heat up the oil mix slowly. When warm, place a handful of shredded
beeswax into the oils, & when all the wax has melted, remove from
heat. Stir until cooled (usually takes 2 beers) & then keep this
creamy mix in a air tight jar. This will keep indefinately.

Rub this into timber 3-6 times (depends on project) & make sure you
remove all excess oil. This method of polishing furniture dates back
to the 18th century & was handed down to me by my Father (Master
Craftsman). Remember to soak all oily rags in water after use, as
they can self combust, (& burn down the bloody workshop). This polish
will repel water, red wine, coffee & hot plate stains. It gives the
most warm, earthy, touching feel to anything you will ever see. It
invites people to touch your furniture, as nature intended.

Any queries ? ring or Email me. Only too pleased to pass on this
wonderful finish.

Warm regards.
Gary White.