Posted to rec.woodworking
Buck Turgidson

Default How to Clean Wood Glue?

What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough? I
recently put some stain on some oak, and some areas containing residual
glue marred the finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Buck Turgidson wrote:
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough?

I prefer waiting until the glue gets to a rubbery snot consistency, then
using a sharp chisel to carefully shave it off. The damp rag has never
worked for me.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Buck Turgidson wrote:
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough?

Maybe. If you are thorough and careful. Obviously, the glue has to be
still liquid. If it has dried, scraping works best for me. Or shaving
it off with a sharp chisel.

If you are talking about squeeze out from joints rather than just having
inadvertantly slopped some somewhere, a chisel/scraper is the way to go
IMO. After it is dry it has shrunk, is hard and comes off easily with
the chisel. There should be just tiny beads...if you have lots of
squeeze out you are using too much glue.

The trouble with using water to remove squeeze out is that one tends to
push it around and leave a tiny bit in the grain and that residual glue
is hard to get off when dry and messes up the finishing. If the wood
has been finished before gluing the joint (I often do so) water, paper
towels and a scraper made of hardwood work pretty well.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough? I
recently put some stain on some oak, and some areas containing residual
glue marred the finish.

For years I have had success with using a paper towel that is almost
dripping wet. If you get enough water on there it glue will wash away.
Turn the towel frequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I will echo the wet towel method, sloppy wet and use lots of towels.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl

I'll second this method - the first step though is not to use so much
that it's squeezing out all over the place. Brush it on and take into
account the type of joint when you put it on. If you're getting glue
everywhere, you're using too much.

Posted to rec.woodworking
nevems2

Default Choice of glue brush, was How to Clean Wood Glue?

Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

Mike B

"Duke of Burl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'll second this method - the first step though is not to use so much
that it's squeezing out all over the place. Brush it on and take into
account the type of joint when you put it on. If you're getting glue
everywhere, you're using too much.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl

I keep a bunch of these around
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2180,41007

I'll clean them and re-use them but if I get side-tracked and forget,
it's no big deal just to toss it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Hofstad-Parkhill

When I dry fit the pieces, I'll wipe on a coat of paste wax (some can of
Minwax I've had for a decade) around the joints. Does not take very long
and makes glue removal a snap. As I almost always use a tung/poly or
linseed/poly mix for finish the wax does not interfere with the finish.

Buck Turgidson wrote:
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough? I
recently put some stain on some oak, and some areas containing residual
glue marred the finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

You have to be careful with with method. Some Oil/varnish aren't
compatible.You might find the wax doesn't disolve if the mineral
spirits aren't in high enough concentration.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

A well-equipped art supply or crafts store should have good glue
brushes.

nevems2 wrote:
Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If talking squeeze out from joints, better way is blue
painters tape on the wood, let the squeeze out get on the tape
instead of on the wood

John

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:33:09 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
What's the best way to clean up some glue (e.g. Titebond II) that gets
on the surface of wood, such as oak? Will a damp rag be good enough? I
recently put some stain on some oak, and some areas containing residual
glue marred the finish.

For years I have had success with using a paper towel that is almost
dripping wet. If you get enough water on there it glue will wash away.
Turn the towel frequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:36:09 -0800, "nevems2"
wrote:

Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

For detailed stuff I like to use a little rod of scrap wood cut at an
angle on the end. Can use the point to get in the tight spots, and
the face of the angle to spread with. The nearest sink is up a flight
of stairs, so a glue brush is pretty much guaranted to be use once and
then in the trash for me. This way I can just keep cutting the end
off to get a fresh end until it's too short to use. On larger pieces
I'll apply the glue directly to the piece and use the stick to spread
it, for small stuff I'll squeeze out a blob on the back of a used up
piece of sandpaper and dip. Works for me.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
loutent

I also use whats commonly called an acid brush. Since
my nearest water source is a distance away, I keep
a small pail of water nearby with a small sponge
and an old washcloth for cleanups. Usually, I will
toss the brush in the pail at the end of the glue session.
Many times, they can be reused, but it seems lately
that I got a batch where the bristles fall out easily.

The one glue accessory that I have really latched on
to is a bottle with a wide roller tip. This saves so
much time in certain instances that I think that I
could not do without it now.

Lou

wrote:

Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

For detailed stuff I like to use a little rod of scrap wood cut at an
angle on the end. Can use the point to get in the tight spots, and
the face of the angle to spread with. The nearest sink is up a flight
of stairs, so a glue brush is pretty much guaranted to be use once and
then in the trash for me. This way I can just keep cutting the end
off to get a fresh end until it's too short to use. On larger pieces
I'll apply the glue directly to the piece and use the stick to spread
it, for small stuff I'll squeeze out a blob on the back of a used up
piece of sandpaper and dip. Works for me.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Duke of Burl wrote:

I keep a bunch of these around
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2180,41007

I'll clean them and re-use them but if I get side-tracked and forget,
it's no big deal just to toss it.

They do tend to shed bristles, though. Still, I keep a bag ful of them
around too.
Posted to rec.woodworking
MrAnderson

Here is my solution to glue marks:

Use hide glue. Unless you are using a dark stain, any undetected glue
marks usually blend into the finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I generally use the same small brushes plumbers use to apply flux to a pipe.
Check the plumbing aisle! They are cheap and disposable too. --dave

"MrAnderson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is my solution to glue marks:

Use hide glue. Unless you are using a dark stain, any undetected glue
marks usually blend into the finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"nevems2" wrote in message
Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush
and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

I use the 3/8" acid brushes and toss them in a plastic cup filled with water
to keep the glue from drying on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Subject

Classic Harbor Freight item.

Acid brushes when they are on sale.

I buy at least 30 at a pop, then use and pitch.

Life it too short to sweat the petty stuff of even pet the sweaty stuff.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:36:09 -0800, "nevems2"
scribbled:

Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues? Have used acid brush and
cut down paint brushes. Kind of a PIA to use. Haven't found a source for
"glue brushes". Any hints appreciated.

Index finger, which then get wiped on seat of pants and eventually
applied to best couch/chair seat, resulting in divorce. I also use
scraps of wood. Lately this has been a bunch 1/2"-wide strips of 1/8
baltic birch ply, 6 or 7 inches long.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Posted to rec.woodworking
nevems2

Damm, I came here looking for great insight and inspiration. Seriously,
thanks for all the comments, seems like I'm doing exactly what you are are.
Thanks again.

Mike B

wrote:

Whats best to apply Titebond II and similar glues?

Posted to rec.woodworking
LDR

In article , nevems2
@ableweb.net says...
Damm, I came here looking for great insight and inspiration. Seriously,
thanks for all the comments, seems like I'm doing exactly what you are are.
Thanks again.

snip

I picked this tip up from Rob Cosman's video on making hand cut
dovetails: he uses a flexible artist's knife for applying white glue.
The knives are very cheap and in this situation at least are far better
than acid brushes which I buy in quantity whenever the woodworking show
arrives in town.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Spitzer

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
In article , nevems2
@ableweb.net says...
Damm, I came here looking for great insight and inspiration. Seriously,
thanks for all the comments, seems like I'm doing exactly what you are
are.
Thanks again.

snip

I picked this tip up from Rob Cosman's video on making hand cut
dovetails: he uses a flexible artist's knife for applying white glue.
The knives are very cheap and in this situation at least are far better
than acid brushes which I buy in quantity whenever the woodworking show
arrives in town.

they're called palette knives. you can buy them in different shapes and
lengths.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Classic Harbor Freight item.

Acid brushes when they are on sale.

Try cutting the bristles to half-length before use. I like them a lot
better after cutting them.

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:28:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hodgett quickly quoth:

Subject

Classic Harbor Freight item.

Acid brushes when they are on sale.

I buy at least 30 at a pop, then use and pitch.

Horse hair or plastic bristled? I prefer the horse hair.
Snip some short for tight spots where you want a precision
dab. Paint can caps work well as containers for refilling
the brush.

Life it too short to sweat the petty stuff of even pet the sweaty stuff.

You hang with the wrong wimmenz, Lew.

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications